Plane in flight - Dynamics Question

In summary: If you did that correctly, you should get the same answer as before, but if you did it wrong, it is conceivable that you could get the correct answer this way.In summary, the given scenario involves a 30,000 kg aircraft climbing at an angle of 15 degrees with a thrust of 180 kN. The aircraft has a speed of 300 km/hr and an acceleration of 2m/s^2. The radius of curvature of the path is 20 km and the goal is to calculate the lift and drag forces on the aircraft. The correct process involves taking into account the overall acceleration (2 m/s^2) and the centripetal acceleration (0.35 m/s^2) to determine the acceleration
Ryansf98

Homework Statement

"Figure 5 depicts a 30 000 kg aircraft climbing at an angle θ = 15˚ when the thrust T = 180 kN. The aircraft’s speed is 300 km/hr and its acceleration is 2m/s2. If the radius of curvature of the path is 20 km (i.e., θ is decreasing), compute the lift and drag forces on the aircraft."

a = 2m/s^2
T = 150000N
Theta = 15 degrees
Radius of Curvature (K) = 20000m
v = 300km/hr => v = 83.3 m/s^1

Screenshot (48).png

Homework Equations

W=mg, F=ma, a = v^2/K

The Attempt at a Solution

I was going to treat this similar to an object moving up an inclined plane. Although, I don't know if this would work.

I determined W = mg, W= 294,300N.
I then thought using a = 83.3^2/20000 = 0.35 m/2^1.
Therefore, F = ma, F = 30,000 * 0.35 = 10,500N.

Therefore F + F(f) (i.e. Wsin(Theta)) = Drag.

Upon calculating, I got close to the answer for drag but I believe only by coincidence. As I considered you would have to work out normal and tangential components individually, therefore a= v^2/K would be in the normal direction, not the tangential like I used it for.

I also am unsure on how to calculate Lift if I cannot treat this an incline plane problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ryansf98 said:
I determined W = mg, W= 294,300N.
I then thought using a = 83.3^2/20000 = 0.35 m/2^1.
Therefore, F = ma, F = 30,000 * 0.35 = 10,500N.
I am not sure I understand what you are doing here. Which F is this and in what direction does it point?

Ryansf98 said:
F = ma, F = 30,000 * 0.35 = 10,500N.
That 0.35 is using only the centripetal acceleration. You are given an acceleration of 2ms-2,though it is not clear whether that is the overall acceleration or just the increase in speed. Is this F just the net force up the slope?
Ryansf98 said:
F + F(f) (i.e. Wsin(Theta)) = Drag.
I can't make sense of that. Are you saying F(f) stands for W sin(θ)? Doesn't that add to drag? Where is T in that equation?

kuruman said:
I am not sure I understand what you are doing here. Which F is this and in what direction does it point?

This is where I was confused, as I was using a incorrectly.

haruspex said:
That 0.35 is using only the centripetal acceleration. You are given an acceleration of 2ms-2,though it is not clear whether that is the overall acceleration or just the increase in speed. Is this F just the net force up the slope?

I tried to use a = v^2/K, but as you both noted I wasn't using it corretly but I don't know how to use it.

So this a would be a(centripetal)? The 2m/s^2 is the overall accleration as far as I'm aware.

[QUOTE="I can't make sense of that. Are you saying F(f) stands for W sin(θ)? Doesn't that add to drag? Where is T in that equation?[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's what I was working there. I was going to determine each component then sum them into a net force at the end.

haruspex said:

I can't make sense of that. Are you saying F(f) stands for W sin(θ)? Doesn't that add to drag? Where is T in that equation?

I ended up redoing some of it. I calculated R = 284,272N, then used a(centripetal) = v^2/K, => a = 0.35 m/s^2.

I then used F(centripetal) = ma(centripetal), = 10,408N.

Then I done R - F(centripetal) to calculate lift. I got the answer on the sheet, but is that the correct process?

I also still can't figure out drag.

You are given the magnitude of the acceleration vector a = 2 m/s2. You have calculated the centripetal component to be 0.35 m/s2. Can you figure out from these two numbers the acceleration in the direction of motion? Hint: The direction of motion is perpendicular to the centripetal direction.

Ryansf98 said:
Then I done R - F(centripetal) to calculate lift. I got the answer on the sheet, but is that the correct process?
Yes. I don't see where you defined R, but it looks like it is W cos(θ). Centripetal is the radial component of the resultant, so =R-lift.

1. How does a plane stay in the air?

A plane stays in the air due to a combination of lift and thrust. As the plane moves forward, the shape of its wings creates an area of low pressure above the wing, and high pressure below the wing. This pressure difference creates lift, which keeps the plane in the air. Additionally, the plane's engines provide thrust, which propels the plane forward.

2. What factors affect the flight of a plane?

There are several factors that can affect the flight of a plane, including air density, airspeed, weight, and the angle of attack (the angle at which the plane's wings meet the oncoming air). Changes in any of these factors can impact the plane's lift and drag, which can affect its ability to stay in the air.

3. How do pilots control a plane's flight?

Pilots control a plane's flight through a combination of the plane's control surfaces, such as the ailerons, elevator, and rudder. These surfaces allow the pilot to adjust the plane's pitch, roll, and yaw, respectively. Additionally, pilots can adjust the plane's speed and direction by changing the amount of thrust from the engines.

4. What is the relationship between airspeed and lift?

The relationship between airspeed and lift is known as the lift equation, which states that lift is directly proportional to the density of the air, the area of the wing, and the square of the airspeed. This means that as airspeed increases, lift also increases, allowing the plane to fly at higher altitudes and speeds.

5. How do weather conditions affect a plane's flight?

Weather conditions can have a significant impact on a plane's flight. Strong winds, turbulence, and severe weather can make it difficult for the plane to maintain its desired altitude and direction. Pilots must carefully monitor weather conditions and make adjustments to their flight plan to ensure the safety and stability of the plane.