1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plane in flight - Dynamics Question

1. Apr 17, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "Figure 5 depicts a 30 000 kg aircraft climbing at an angle θ = 15˚ when the thrust T = 180 kN. The aircraft’s speed is 300 km/hr and its acceleration is 2m/s2. If the radius of curvature of the path is 20 km (i.e., θ is decreasing), compute the lift and drag forces on the aircraft."

a = 2m/s^2
    T = 150000N
    Theta = 15 degrees
    Radius of Curvature (K) = 20000m
    v = 300km/hr => v = 83.3 m/s^1

Screenshot (48).png
    2. Relevant equations
    W=mg, F=ma, a = v^2/K

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was going to treat this similar to an object moving up an inclined plane. Although, I don't know if this would work.

I determined W = mg, W= 294,300N.
    I then thought using a = 83.3^2/20000 = 0.35 m/2^1.
    Therefore, F = ma, F = 30,000 * 0.35 = 10,500N.

Therefore F + F(f) (i.e. Wsin(Theta)) = Drag.

Upon calculating, I got close to the answer for drag but I believe only by coincidence. As I considered you would have to work out normal and tangential components individually, therefore a= v^2/K would be in the normal direction, not the tangential like I used it for.

I also am unsure on how to calculate Lift if I cannot treat this an incline plane problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2017 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am not sure I understand what you are doing here. Which F is this and in what direction does it point?

4. Apr 17, 2017 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That 0.35 is using only the centripetal acceleration. You are given an acceleration of 2ms-2,though it is not clear whether that is the overall acceleration or just the increase in speed. Is this F just the net force up the slope?
    I can't make sense of that. Are you saying F(f) stands for W sin(θ)? Doesn't that add to drag? Where is T in that equation?

5. Apr 18, 2017 #4
    This is where I was confused, as I was using a incorrectly.

I tried to use a = v^2/K, but as you both noted I wasn't using it corretly but I don't know how to use it.

So this a would be a(centripetal)? The 2m/s^2 is the overall accleration as far as I'm aware.

[QUOTE="I can't make sense of that. Are you saying F(f) stands for W sin(θ)? Doesn't that add to drag? Where is T in that equation?[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's what I was working there. I was going to determine each component then sum them into a net force at the end.

6. Apr 18, 2017 #5
    I ended up redoing some of it. I calculated R = 284,272N, then used a(centripetal) = v^2/K, => a = 0.35 m/s^2.

I then used F(centripetal) = ma(centripetal), = 10,408N.

Then I done R - F(centripetal) to calculate lift. I got the answer on the sheet, but is that the correct process?

I also still can't figure out drag.

7. Apr 18, 2017 #6

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are given the magnitude of the acceleration vector a = 2 m/s2. You have calculated the centripetal component to be 0.35 m/s2. Can you figure out from these two numbers the acceleration in the direction of motion? Hint: The direction of motion is perpendicular to the centripetal direction.

8. Apr 18, 2017 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes. I don't see where you defined R, but it looks like it is W cos(θ). Centripetal is the radial component of the resultant, so =R-lift.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted