Simple dynamics question, answer seems incorrect....

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct solution for a problem involving velocity and acceleration. The 15 ft/s given in the problem is meant to be the tangential speed, and "downward" is just meant to indicate the direction of the boy's swing. The use of Vg as V in the equation for An is incorrect. To calculate the velocity in the tangential direction, one must divide 15 ft/s by the cosine of the angle.
Pascal1p

Homework Statement

H7virgC.png

Homework Equations

f=m*a
V= Vg*cos θ

The Attempt at a Solution

Is this solution correct. I did everything the same, but I did not use the 15 ft/s.
Since An= (v^2/ρ) with V being the velocity in the t direction. The 15 ft/s according to me is only the component of V that is in the y direction of a normall x-y plane.
So to get the velocity in the tangential direction of the path, so the full V. You need to do 15 ft/s / cos θ?
That they use Vg as V in the equation for An is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently the 15 ft/s given in the problem is meant to be the tangential speed. "Downward" is just meant to indicate that the boy is "swinging down" at this instant.

I understand how you interpreted it, and you would be correct for your interpretation. The wording of the statement of the problem could have been better.

Likes SammyS

1. What is simple dynamics?

Simple dynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and forces in non-complex systems. It involves using basic mathematical equations to describe the behavior of objects in motion.

2. Can you give an example of simple dynamics in everyday life?

One example of simple dynamics in everyday life is a ball rolling down a hill. The ball is subjected to the force of gravity and the motion of the ball can be described using simple dynamics equations.

3. How do you determine if an answer to a simple dynamics question is incorrect?

To determine if an answer to a simple dynamics question is incorrect, you can compare it to the expected outcome based on the known principles and equations of simple dynamics. If the answer does not align with these principles, it is likely incorrect.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving simple dynamics problems?

Some common mistakes when solving simple dynamics problems include not correctly identifying or considering all the forces acting on an object, using incorrect equations or values, and not properly applying mathematical principles.

5. How can I improve my understanding of simple dynamics?

To improve your understanding of simple dynamics, it is important to practice solving problems and to seek help from a teacher or tutor when needed. It can also be helpful to visualize and draw diagrams to better understand the forces and motion involved in a problem.