Planewave scattering on metal wedge problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for help with solving the scattering of a planewave on a metal wedge. The wedge has a certain angle and is infinite in one direction. The goal is to find an analytical solution and determine which modes are involved in the scattering process, particularly the coupling of the incident wave to surface waves. The speaker also mentions the complexity of the problem and requests references on the topic. Balanis' "Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics" is recommended as a source for information on scattering and diffraction by a wedge.
tomas1
Hi, I need help with following problem: I need to solve scattering of the planewave incident on the metal wedge. Let's say that wave travels in $z$ direction. Angle of wedge is $\alpha$, it is formed in $x-z$ plane. Wedge is infinite in $y$ direction (metal corner, if $\alpha = \pi / 2$, it will fill quarter space). Wave propagates along wedge angle axis. I need analytical solution. I'd like to know what modes are
participating in scattering (namely I'm interested in possible coupling of incident wave to surface waves). I know that solution is more complicated, but I will appreciate any references to books or papers, where this problem is described.
Thank you

Science news on Phys.org
Balanis' "Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics" covers the problem of scattering and diffraction by a wedge.

Born2bwire said:
Balanis' "Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics" covers the problem of scattering and diffraction by a wedge.

Thank you, I will take a look at it.

1. What is the Planewave scattering on metal wedge problem?

The Planewave scattering on metal wedge problem is a theoretical problem in electromagnetics that involves studying the interaction between a plane wave and a metallic wedge. The goal is to understand how the electromagnetic field is affected by the wedge and how it scatters the incident wave.

2. Why is the Planewave scattering on metal wedge problem important?

This problem is important because it has practical applications in various fields such as antenna design, radar technology, and optics. It also helps in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves in complex geometries and can be used to optimize the performance of devices.

3. What are the main challenges in solving the Planewave scattering on metal wedge problem?

The main challenges in solving this problem include accurately modeling the geometry of the wedge, choosing the appropriate boundary conditions, and solving the resulting equations numerically. The problem also becomes more complex for non-perfectly conducting wedges and at higher frequencies.

4. How is the Planewave scattering on metal wedge problem solved?

The problem is typically solved using numerical methods such as the finite difference method, finite element method, or boundary element method. These methods involve discretizing the problem into smaller elements and solving the resulting equations iteratively to obtain a solution.

5. What are some potential future research directions for the Planewave scattering on metal wedge problem?

Some potential future research directions for this problem include developing more efficient and accurate numerical methods, studying the effects of material properties on the scattering behavior, and exploring the problem in three-dimensional geometries. Additionally, the problem can also be extended to include multiple wedges or other complex structures.