Planning and Designing a lab on Coupled pendulums

In summary, the conversation discusses planning and designing 4 physics labs and the confusion over the layout for a P/D lab. The speaker's teacher provided a lab manual for guidance but there is uncertainty about including expected results and plotting a graph without values. The expert recommends finding plausible numbers to solve the system and plot the time-evolution. The conversation also touches on the layout of a P/D lab, which typically includes a title, aim, hypothesis, apparatus/materials, variables, procedure, data collected, treatment of data, and discussion of limitations and sources of errors.
lionely
My teacher told me plan and design about 4 labs, okay the thing is I'm not sure about the layout of P/D for physics labs.

I know there has to be expected results, I'm confused I don't know what to put there.

My teacher gave me a lab manual to try and guide me okay, in the book at the end of the method for this Coupled Pendulum lab it asks me to plot a graph, how can i do that without values?

What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could calculate how the values should look like?

Hmm... but how would I know what they should be near to ?

Which type of graph do you try to plot?
If you don't know parameters of your coupled pendulums, find some plausible numbers. Like a length of ~50cm, a harmonic coupling with ~5% of the strength of the individual pendulums, some weaker damping (like <1%/cycle or even 0) or similar values. Solve the system, plot the time-evolution of the system.

Oh thank you, one more thing could you tell me the layout of a p/d lab my teacher didn't tell me. I know you're supposed have a hypothesis and expected results and so on.

I don't understand what you are looking for.

I mean like for a p/d lab you would have

-Title
-Aim
-Hypothesis
-Apparatus/Materials
-Variables
-Procedure
-Data Collected
-Treatment of Data
-Discussion (limitations, sources of errors)

but is this all?

1. What is the purpose of using coupled pendulums in a lab?

The purpose of using coupled pendulums in a lab is to study the behavior and motion of a system of two or more pendulums that are connected to each other. This can help in understanding the principles of oscillation, resonance, and energy transfer between the pendulums.

2. How do you determine the required materials for a lab on coupled pendulums?

The required materials for a lab on coupled pendulums depend on the specific objectives and experiments being conducted. Generally, you will need two or more pendulums, a sturdy support structure, a timer or stopwatch, and measuring tools such as rulers or protractors. You may also need materials to adjust the length or mass of the pendulums.

3. What are the key considerations when designing a lab on coupled pendulums?

When designing a lab on coupled pendulums, some key considerations include the length and mass of the pendulums, the angle of release, the type of coupling mechanism, and the measurements and calculations needed to analyze the data. It is also important to consider safety precautions and equipment limitations.

4. How can you ensure accurate and reliable results in a lab on coupled pendulums?

To ensure accurate and reliable results in a lab on coupled pendulums, it is important to carefully control the variables, such as the length and mass of the pendulums, and minimize external factors like air resistance. It is also crucial to repeat the experiments multiple times and take precise measurements to reduce errors and increase the validity of the results.

5. What are some potential applications of studying coupled pendulums?

The study of coupled pendulums has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can be used to understand and model the behavior of other systems with coupled oscillators, such as molecules, atoms, and even galaxies. It also has practical applications in fields like robotics and seismology, where oscillatory motion and energy transfer play a significant role.