Plastic strain depens on loading path

In summary, the speaker's teacher has given them a homework on the Theory of Plasticity, which is new and difficult for them. The teacher has already calculated the strain for path (1) and now the speaker needs to do the same for paths (2) and (3). The speaker asks for help with these paths or for advice on how to solve them. The speaker later realizes their mistake and is able to complete the homework successfully.
progiangbk
Hi there,

My teacher gave me a homework, but this Theory of Plasticity is new and difficult to me.

He has calculated the strain according to path (1), now I have to do with the path (2) and (3).

This is what he did with path (1):

ε11=∫(1/E)dσ11 + ∫[(σ11/S)(σ11dσ11+3σ12dσ12)]/(σ11^2 + 3σ12^2)

the first and second terminals for the above integration are (0,Y) and (0,Y/√3)

Finally he got:

ε11= (Y/E) + (Y/S)ln√2

Please help me with path (2) or pah (3) or both, or tell me how to solve it.

Thanks and best regards

Attachments

• homework.gif
    homework.gif
    13.2 KB · Views: 569
Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot the arrow for path (1) and (2):

Path (1): O => B => A
Path (2): O => C => A
Path (3): O => A

oh, i found it already!, just calculate the path integration!

I was confused because i made error in computing integration so the result was different with my teacher. Now everything's done!

1. What is plastic strain and how does it depend on the loading path?

Plastic strain is the permanent deformation of a material when subjected to stress. The amount of plastic strain a material experiences depends on the loading path, or the way in which the stress is applied. Different loading paths can result in different levels of plastic strain.

2. How does the loading path affect the plastic behavior of a material?

The loading path can affect the plastic behavior of a material in several ways. For example, a material may exhibit different levels of strain hardening or softening depending on the loading path. The loading path can also influence the formation and growth of microcracks, which can significantly affect the overall plastic behavior of a material.

3. Can the plastic strain be predicted for a given loading path?

While it is not possible to accurately predict the exact amount of plastic strain for a given loading path, it is possible to estimate the general trend of plastic strain behavior. This can be done through experiments and simulations, which can provide valuable insights into the plastic behavior of a material under different loading paths.

4. How does the loading path impact the failure of a material?

The loading path can have a significant impact on the failure of a material. Different loading paths can result in different modes of failure, such as ductile or brittle fracture. The loading path can also affect the stress distribution within a material, which can influence the location and progression of failure.

5. Can the loading path be controlled to manipulate the plastic strain of a material?

Yes, the loading path can be controlled to some extent to manipulate the plastic strain of a material. For example, by adjusting the strain rate or temperature during loading, the plastic behavior of a material can be altered. However, the loading path alone cannot fully control the plastic strain, as it also depends on other factors such as the material's properties and microstructure.