Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plastics not subject to viscoelasticity (cold flow)

1. May 31, 2018 #1
    I have been asked to find a machinable plastic (or dielectric) that will be subject to continuous loading (20 years) that will be subject to stress of appx 100 KPa at a max temp of 64C. While not a high speed or high energy situation, it is a rotating, close clearance application and the material cannot expand from its original dimensions without creating a potential frictional failure that could generate significant heat.

I have read that 'cold flow' over a long time is primarily a problem with thermoplastic polymers 'only', but the information I have been able to pull up so far is very scarce and gives me little confidence about selecting a material. Not being in materials science, my ignorance is probably has me looking in all the wrong places.

Can anyone shed some light about the cold flow being largely a thermoplastic problem and/or recommend a different source of viscoelastic data that I can use to find a plastic NOT subject to this long term phenomenon?

All comments welcome!

Best regards,

Bruce

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2018 #2

JBA

4. May 31, 2018 #3
    JBA,

Thank you for taking the time to link me with the Curbell website. Absolutely the best I have seen for broad comparisons and drill down detail!

Greatly appreciated!
    Bruce

5. Jun 5, 2018 #4

Tom.G

Science Advisor

Take a look at Phenolic material, sold as Bakelite and Micarta brands.

6. Jun 7, 2018 #5

ChemAir

Gold Member

This compounder has a wide variety of different types. It may be worth a look.

From previous work, polyphenylene sulfide, a semicrystalline polymer might be an option. Here's the variety of options for that material.

A lot of physical properties are available for this polymer and others on that site.

7. Jun 8, 2018 #6
    TomG & ChemAir,

Both very good suggestions! I will research both.

Thank you for your assist!!!

Bruce

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted