Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Platinum Oxidation in Molten Salt Reactor

1. Apr 26, 2007 #1
    In an argon atmosphere, there is a pure platinum crucible that is used to heat Calcium Chloride salts to 850 deg C. After it is heated, pure chlorine gas is bubbled through the molten salt to remove CaO impurities. The heating method is by induction heating.

My questions/concerns: Since we are using induction heating, is there a risk that the induced current will oxidize the platinum and result in producing platinum chlorides.

Also, is there an analytical method to estimate how much platinum chloride will be produced through natural reactions (no induced currents)?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2007 #2

I've pretty much ruled out any degradation due to the induction currents. If there is a galvanic reaction with the platinum it would be to my benefit since platinum is very high on the cathode side of the galvanic series.

My main concern now is the formation of PtCl2 on the surface of the platinum. It has a melting point of ~581 deg C so my guess is it will dissolve in the molten CaCl2 resulting in Platinum impurities in the final salt. PtCl4 is not an issue since it will degrade at the temperatures in the crucible during flow.

Do you think it would be worth it to create a galvanic cell to try and depose any dissolved platinum back on the crucible?

In any case I'm stuck trying to quantitatively estimate the amount of PtCl2 formed which will determine how far I have to take this. Any thoughts?
    Last edited: May 2, 2007
  4. May 10, 2007 #3
    According to the "Molten Salt Handbook", Platinum chloride decomposes at temperatures lower than the melting point of Calcium Chloride, however there could still be platinum chloride dissolved in solution. Does anyone know where I can find the solubility of Platinum Chloride in molten Calcium Chloride to give me a worst case?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?