1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Please check my work (differential equation)

1. Apr 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ty' + 2y = sin t (no initial conditions given)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    ty' + 2y = sin t

y' + (2/t)y = sin t / t

mu(x) = e^integ(2/t) = t^2

(t^2)y)' = integ t sin t

(t^2)y = tsin t - t cos t + c

y = (sin t - cos t)/ t + c/(t^2) (This is my solution)

thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi darryw! :smile:

(have an integral: ∫ and a mu: µ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Your equations are ok down to …
    … the first line of course should be (t^2)y)' = t sin t (without the ∫) :wink:,

but more seriously your integration by parts has come out wrong …

check it by differentiating, and you'll see how to fix it. :smile:

4. Apr 12, 2010 #3
    i knew it! this is an ongoing problem for me.. I always have problem escaping the integration loop when i have something like ∫t cos t.. (or even worse: ∫e^t cos t

as i understand it, the idea is to integrate up to a certain point and then subtract the integrals identity from left hand side, so then you cancel the integrals. When i did that i ended up with tsin t - t cos t. Can you offer any help/tips so i dont have to write out the whole long integration process? thanks

5. Apr 12, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

he he :biggrin:

the official method for ∫ fg dx is to integrate g only, giving [f(∫ g dx)], and then subtract the integral of f' time that: ∫ { f'(∫ g dx)} dx

but my method (only works for easy cases) is to make a guess (in this case, -tcost), differentiate it (-cost + tsint), and then integrate whatever's over (-cost) :wink:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook