Please check my work on this short calc (?) prob

In summary: positive is the value where both the numerator and denominator are positive. whereas, in the case of a negative value, the numerator is negative and the denominator is positive.
frasifrasi

Homework Statement

Two particles move along an x axis. Position of particle 1 is x = 6t^2 + 3t + 2. The acceleration of particle 2 is given by a = -8t and at t=0, its velocity is 20 m/s. When the velocities of the particles match, what is their velocity?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I took the derivative of the position function and found it to be v = 12t + 3. Then I took the integral from the acceleration function and found it to be v = -4t^2 + C ( by plugging t=0, I got C = 20). Hence, v = -4t^2 + 20.

Now, I equated both velocity functions and was left with 4t^2 + 12t -17. Does that mean I should solve the quadratic to get two answers--this seems too simple and the problem is supposed to be 3/3 for difficulty...

Physics news on Phys.org
frasifrasi said:

Homework Statement

Two particles move along an x axis. Position of particle 1 is x = 6t^2 + 3t + 2. The acceleration of particle 2 is given by a = -8t and at t=0, its velocity is 20 m/s. When the velocities of the particles match, what is their velocity?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I took the derivative of the position function and found it to be v = 12t + 3. Then I took the integral from the acceleration function and found it to be v = -4t^2 + C ( by plugging t=0, I got C = 20). Hence, v = -4t^2 + 20.

Now, I equated both velocity functions and was left with 4t^2 + 12t -17. Does that mean I should solve the quadratic to get two answers--this seems too simple and the problem is supposed to be 3/3 for difficulty...

yes, that's what I did also, before reading yours work.

Your work looks right to me.

Thank you, but how is it that you come out with two aswers? Should I eliminate the negative one or is it physically possible in this case?

because it's quadratic v = -4t^2 + 20

why you hate negative value lol?
how's it different from positive?

1. What is the purpose of having my work checked on a short calculus problem?

The purpose of having your work checked is to ensure that your solution is correct and to identify any mistakes or errors that may have been made. It also allows you to learn from your mistakes and improve your problem-solving skills.

2. How can I make sure my work is accurate?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to carefully follow the steps and formulas taught in your calculus class. Double-check your calculations and make sure you understand the reasoning behind each step in your solution. It can also be helpful to have someone else review your work for any potential errors.

3. Is it okay to ask for help with my calculus problems?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help with your calculus problems. In fact, seeking help and clarification is an important part of learning and improving your skills. You can ask your teacher, tutor, or classmates for assistance.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve my calculus problem?

It depends on the instructions given for the specific problem. Some calculus problems may require you to show your work by hand, while others may allow the use of a calculator. Always check with your teacher to make sure you are following the proper guidelines.

5. How can I improve my performance on calculus problems?

To improve your performance, it is important to practice regularly and consistently. Make sure you understand the concepts and formulas being taught and seek help when needed. You can also try working on different types of problems and challenging yourself to solve them without help.