1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please check my work on this short calc (?) prob

1. Sep 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two particles move along an x axis. Position of particle 1 is x = 6t^2 + 3t + 2. The acceleration of particle 2 is given by a = -8t and at t=0, its velocity is 20 m/s. When the velocities of the particles match, what is their velocity?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, so I took the derivative of the position function and found it to be v = 12t + 3. Then I took the integral from the acceleration function and found it to be v = -4t^2 + C ( by plugging t=0, I got C = 20). Hence, v = -4t^2 + 20.

Now, I equated both velocity functions and was left with 4t^2 + 12t -17. Does that mean I should solve the quadratic to get two answers--this seems too simple and the problem is supposed to be 3/3 for difficulty...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2007 #2

yes, that's what I did also, before reading yours work.

4. Sep 4, 2007 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Your work looks right to me.

5. Sep 4, 2007 #4
    Thank you, but how is it that you come out with two aswers? Should I eliminate the negative one or is it physically possible in this case?

6. Sep 4, 2007 #5
    because it's quadratic v = -4t^2 + 20

why you hate negative value lol?
    how's it different from positive?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?