1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please critic my proof! (Limit converges to e)

1. Sep 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that 1 + 1 + 1/2! + 1/3! +1/4! + 1/5!... + 1/n!
    Limit of this as n goes to infinity is equal to e.

2. Relevant equations

I already showed (1 + 1/n)^n = e

3. The attempt at a solution

My proof is as follows:

e = limit (n to infinity) Sum (k=1 to n) of:

(n!/(n-k)!) * 1/(k!*n^n)

= limit (n to infinity) of:

1 + n/n + n(n-1)/n^2 * 1/2! + n(n-1)(n-2)/n^3 * 1/3! + .........

Note: each term has the same leading degree and coefficient, meaning each terms tends to 1 * 1/k! as n approaches infinity thus this entire series tends to:

1 + 1 + 1/2! + 1/3! + 1/4!....

My main question/concern is the fact that I passed the limit through the summation. It this ok? I know that it works for finite sums:

ie: Limit (X_n + Y_n) = Limit(X_n) + Limit(Y_n)

but I'm unsure if this is true for infinite sums. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You mean sum (k=1 to n) of (n!/(n-k)!) * 1/(k!*n^k), right? You are right to be concerned. No, you can't commute the limit and the sum for infinite series. For example, lim n->infinity sum(k=1 to n) k/n is divergent. sum(k=1 to n) lim n->infinity k/n=0. But your argument does mean it's reasonable to think sum(k=0 to infinity) 1/k! is e. Given you've just proven that lim (n->infinity) (1+1/n)^n is e, that really might be all they are asking for.

4. Sep 21, 2009 #3
    Suppose you're allowed to use the familiar property that [tex]\frac{\mathrm{d} \mathrm{e}^x}{\mathrm{d} x} = \mathrm{e}^x[/tex]. Then first find the Taylor series of the function [tex]\mathrm{e}^x[/tex] and prove that the Lagrange remainder [tex]R_n(x) \to 0[/tex] and thereby showing that [tex]\mathrm{e}^x = \sum_{k = 0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k!}x^k[/tex] for [tex]\forall x \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]. Set [tex]x = 1[/tex] and that's your result.

5. Sep 21, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, that works. But I'm not sure this is supposed to use taylor series, is it moo5003?

6. Sep 22, 2009 #5

lurflurf

Homework Helper

You are allowed to move that limit though the sum, but first you need to justify it. Once it has been justified you may not need to commute them. A common theme. The usual trick is to break the sum up.
    let n and m be large with m<<n
    then the first m terms of the sum look like those of Σ1/k! and the others are small

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook