Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please explain the short lifespan of LIPUS devices...

1. Aug 27, 2016 #1
    So far, I have only seen about 3 LIPUS (Low Intensity Pulsed Ultrasound) devices that are commercially available. The one that I am looking at right now is made by Bioventus Global and it is called Exogen.

The " EXOGEN User Guide ", on Bioventus Global website, states that their LIPUS device only has a lifespan of about 300 uses at 20 minutes per day.

The only components that I can think of that would cause such a short lifespan are the batteries and transducer.

Which components would likely be causing such a short lifespan ?

If it is the transducer that is wearing out, is it normal for ultrasound transducers to wear out with only about 6000 minutes of usages ?

If it is the transducer that is wearing out, which part of the transducer ?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2016 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

the battery

4. Aug 27, 2016 #3
    @davenn

The reason for original post was that this is kind of important.

I need a LIPUS device, and if it should stop producing the ultrasound waves or the wrong waves I don't suppose that I would ever even realize it.... I would happily just go about changing the battery and using the LIPUS device, for years on end, believing that it is working when in reality it is not.

So, given your post, I will assume that the transducer does not wear out, and that I only need to worry about the battery.

Thanks.

5. Aug 27, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Perhaps you could test functionality by using graphite powder on a sheet of paper. I suppose it should generate resonance patterns.

6. Aug 27, 2016 #5
    Yes, I suppose I could do that.

In my original post, one of a number of reasons why I posted was that I was hoping to get a concrete idea of why a LIPUS device would wear out so quickly - before purchasing it.

But, of course, yours is an excellent idea. Thanks.

7. Aug 27, 2016 #6

berkeman

When you called their Customer Support folks, what did they have fo say?

8. Aug 27, 2016 #7

fresh_42

ga790425.gif

9. Aug 28, 2016 #8

I admit that I have not spoken with them yet. I called today and they will not be available until Monday.
    On Monday I intend to call them again.

In this case, I don't entirely trust what the customer support might say. It - may - be in their interest to not fully divulge why their product only last for about 6000 minutes. One reason that I slightly suspect this is because their reasons were not clearly divulged in their online reading material. So, I simply wanted both their explanations and this forum's. Also, I assume that electrical engineers could possible give more involved and technical explanations. See, I was hoping to purchase an Exogen device and have it fixed if it breaks, but I need to know a little bit about what is likely to break.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  10. Aug 28, 2016 #9

fresh_42

It cannot be ruled out, that they intentionally break after a certain lifetime. They could e.g. use electronic components of minor quality. A broken resistor or capacitor would probably do. Battery replacement seems to me a too obvious and easy to repair reason to publicly admit a 100 h lifespan.

11. Aug 28, 2016 #10

rbelli1

Gold Member

This is a prescription medical device. It was tested clinically to the indicated lifespan. Use beyond that is not medically guaranteed.

That said, it is likely only at a small percentage of its useful life. They say to call customer support after 300 uses. They may just have you do some sort of calibration and you get 300 more uses if everything checks out.

BoB

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted