Please explain this mirror

petershlagor
The following photo was taken of a mirror in my hotel room in Dublin, Ireland a month ago.
This mirror has two individual panes, I assume silvered differently. Why? Is the magnification of the left pane intentional, a mounting effect or a consequence?
dual mirror.jpg

I appreciate whatever you may have to suggest,

Pete

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about the coloring but the size difference appears to be due to a slightly offset focus.

EDIT: perhaps the color difference is supposed to be "artistic".

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the application of make-up.

I suspect it's not magnification, just that there are two mirrors and they're not quite in the same plane, so there's a discontinuity in the reflection at the join.

You said this was taken a month ago so I guess you can't go back and check, but you might well find that if you stand so you see one of your eyes on one half and the other on the other half, you do not see any reflection of your nose.

Likes russ_watters
petershlagor said:
I assume silvered differently.
I believe it's copper what makes that kind of color.

phinds said:
I don't know about the coloring but the size difference appears to be due to a slightly offset focus.

EDIT: perhaps the color difference is supposed to be "artistic".
Rive said:
I believe it's copper what makes that kind of color.
Concur. Ask the hotel but this appears to be a decorative device that reflects as a mirror.

petershlagor said:
The following photo was taken of a mirror in my hotel room in Dublin, Ireland a month ago.

I'm guessing the shaded side is to reduce the visibility of one of the doubles, to help compensate for the Jameson.

• Haha
Likes BillTre and OmCheeto