1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please explain why I keep getting the incorrect moment about O

1. Sep 28, 2012 #1
    Please explain why I keep getting the "incorrect" moment about O

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    on the xy plane (in mm), there is a 50 N force that travels from point A (-15 , -20) , to point B (40 , 10). The first part of this question asks to find the moment of this force about the origin using Varignon's theorem. the second part asks to find the moment about a point C (0 , 25) using a vector approach.

2. Relevant equations

theta = arctan (opp / adj)

M = (F)(d)

Fx = F sin(theta) (in my case, for you you can do cosine of complementary, same thing)

Fy = F cos(theta) (again, could do sine of complentary angle if desired)

3. The attempt at a solution

Using Varignons theorem, I broke the force up at point A (going up, and going right, tail to tail). Then, I found the angle between the original force and the horizontal (28.6 degrees for me). Using this, I found that Fx = 43.9 N and Fy = 23.9 N. Since Fy is 15 units left of origin, I found the moment to be (23.9 N)(15 mm) = 358.5 Nmm CW. Then, I did the same for Fx and got (43.9 N)(20 mm) = 878 Nmm CCW. Using conventional directions, I found the net moment to be 878 - 358.5 = 519.5 Nmm CCW. This seems perfectly correct to me, but for some the book claims the correct answer is found by instead doing this.

(43.9 N)(15mm) - (23.9 N)(20 mm) = 179.6

This seems wrong to me, it looks they got the torque arm lengths mixed up, please tell me this seems to be the case, as I have been pulling my hair out all day trying to see why they did what they did.

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2012 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Please explain why I keep getting the "incorrect" moment about O

Your answer appears correct, which you can check using the T= r X F vector approach. Looks like they used the wrong lever arm or messed up sin vs. cos . You actually did Fx = F cos theta, and Fy = F sin theta, where theta = 28.6 degrees, which is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook