1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help check my solution to gradient question.

1. Jun 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A wildebeest is charging across a plain. His path takes him to location (x,y) where x is his distance (in miles) east of his starting point and y is his distance in miles north of his starting point at time t. So x and y are functions of t. The air temperature is a function of both location and time.
    Right now he is moving at a velocity of 12 miles per hour in the northward direction and 7 miles per hour westward. In the northward direction the temperature changes at a rate of -0.10 degrees per mile, and in the eastward direction the temperature changes at a rate of -0.05 degrees per mile. Also, overall the temperature (irrespective of location) is changing at a rate of -1.6 degrees per hour.
    What is the rate of change in air temperature that the wildebeest is experiencing right now?

3. The attempt at a solution

I just want to make sure I set this up right. I first created a function called r(t). We then have

[itex] ∇r = -7 i + 12 j + 1 k [/itex]

Next I made a unit vector for the 3 respective changes in temperature
    [itex] u = -.05/1.603)i - .1/1.603) j + 1.6/1.63 k [/itex]

Next I just summed the dot product [itex] ∇r * u [/itex]

I just wanted to make sure there are no errors in this solution, and that I set it up in an efficient manner. I have trouble when I have to start mixing (x,y) with t.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I really don't understand at all. if the wildebeast can only move in a two dimensional plane (North-South and East-West), what does "k" represent? And how is the wildebeast moving in that direction at 1 mile per hour?

But then I don't understand the question itself! If the temperature is changing at "-0.10 degrees per mile" in the northern direction and at -0.05 degrees per mile" in the eastern direction, then how can it be changing at -1.6 degrees per hour irrespective of location?

4. Jun 8, 2012 #3
    Lol that is why I posted it here! A teacher at my college put this on a calc III test, and I want to make sure that I am prepared for an upcoming exam. I chose to set z = 1 in the gradient because I wanted to consider this problem as a 3 dimensional function where the z value would be a shift up and down a 3 dimensional axis perhaps.

However I'm not sure if this would yield a correct answer.

edit : the change in global temperature is what I considered to be our z value.

5. Jun 8, 2012 #4
    You could call it r(t)=(x,y,t). Then r'(t)=(-7,12,1)

∇T=(-.05,-.1,-1.6)

Then dT/dt=∇T[itex]\cdot[/itex]r'(t)

Comments:

I'm not sure you need a unit vector.

Rate of change with respect to what, time?

Notice that dT/dt≠∂T/∂t=-1.6

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook