Please help me, Determine the Magnitude & Location of the Resultant for

In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for help in determining the magnitude and location of the resultant for a load system shown in a visual representation. The person has provided some calculations they have done so far and has attached a digital picture of the problem. They apologize for not having a scanner and ask for assistance in understanding how to solve the problem. They clarify that it is not a homework assignment but an exercise for their brain. They express their desire to understand the process so they can remember it.
Dellis
Please help me, "Determine the Magnitude & Location of the Resultant for...

Hi, I need some help understanding how to do this type of problem, I attached a digital picture version of the problem.

Homework Statement

Determine the Magnitude and Location of the Resultant for the Load System shown:
^That's what they want, please help me.

The visual representation is in the attachment.

This is as far as I get in this problem,

W= (8KN/m) 6m= 48Kn

R= Summation FY=

Summation MA=

X bar=I have no idea what to do next

Attachments

• STATICS PROBLEM.jpg
    STATICS PROBLEM.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 592
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dellis said:
Update-

Attached the .JPEG

I need to buy a damn scanner, this took me probably longer then how long it takes to do the problem.

If you have a digital camera, why not use that?

Ok the updload is done, the STATICS PROBLEM.jpg is the actual Digital Picture, sorry for going in a maze over this, I feel so stupid right now:shy:, let me clean up the first post...

Help please, I need to know how to do these problems, it isn't a Homework its just an exercise for my brain. If I can see the process of how it is done, then I can understand it and put it to use, If I see a process it sticks in my mind forever.

Last edited:

Can someone help please

1. What is the concept of magnitude and location in relation to a resultant?

The magnitude of a resultant is the length or size of the vector, while the location refers to the position of the vector in space. In other words, the magnitude determines the strength or intensity of the vector, while the location indicates where the vector is pointing to.

2. How do you determine the magnitude of a resultant?

To determine the magnitude of a resultant, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. First, square the individual magnitudes of the vectors, then add them together. Finally, take the square root of the sum to get the magnitude of the resultant.

3. What is the process for finding the location of a resultant?

To determine the location of a resultant, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions can help you calculate the angle of the resultant relative to a reference axis, which can then be used to determine the location of the resultant.

4. Can you explain the difference between a scalar and a vector in relation to a resultant?

A scalar only has magnitude and no direction, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. A resultant, being a vector, has both magnitude and direction, making it a more comprehensive representation of the combined effect of multiple vectors.

5. How can you use graphical methods to determine the magnitude and location of a resultant?

Graphical methods involve drawing the vectors to scale and using basic geometry to determine the magnitude and location of the resultant. The length and direction of the resultant can be measured directly from the graph, making it a quick and easy way to solve vector problems.