Harmonic oscillator energy levels in helium-4 gas

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
claymine
Messages
12
Reaction score
2
TL;DR
The result of angular frequency deduced from Eq 1.8 is quite confusing to me. Can some one walk me through it please?

Thank you
0C815455-2F07-4141-BFED-574E862BC6E3.jpeg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me the author used the relation ##\omega^2 = \frac k m## for the frequency of an harmonic oscillator, where -in this case- ##k = \phi_p## and ##m = \frac 1 {\rho p^2}##.
 
dRic2 said:
It seems to me the author used the relation ##\omega^2 = \frac k m## for the frequency of an harmonic oscillator, where -in this case- ##k = \phi_p## and ##m = \frac 1 {\rho p^2}##.
No, I don’t think so
 
Why not ? It looks like the total energy of an HO... BTW I'm sorry but that's the only thing I could think of
 
dRic2 said:
Why not ? It looks like the total energy of an HO... BTW I'm sorry but that's the only thing I could think of
cuz in his notation (eq1.8) he has rho bar he forgot the divsion symbol. this is a book called qft in stat phys by A. Abrikosov btw. previously he mentioned in low temp He4 energy is proportional to momentum
 
Sorry, I'm not following. If you compare that equation with ##\frac 1 2 m \dot x ^2 + \frac 1 2 k x^2## it is straightforward to obtain ##\omega ^2 = \frac k m##
 
ah you are right my apologies for being pretentious, your way is a pretty elegant solution
 
dRic2 said:
Sorry, I'm not following. If you compare that equation with ##\frac 1 2 m \dot x ^2 + \frac 1 2 k x^2## it is straightforward to obtain ##\omega ^2 = \frac k m##
thank you
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dRic2