A Please help me understand this HO energy in He4 gas

Summary
The result of angular frequency deduced from Eq 1.8 is quite confusing to me. Can some one walk me through it please?

Thank you
0C815455-2F07-4141-BFED-574E862BC6E3.jpeg

dRic2

Gold Member
It seems to me the author used the relation ##\omega^2 = \frac k m## for the frequency of an harmonic oscillator, where -in this case- ##k = \phi_p## and ##m = \frac 1 {\rho p^2}##.

It seems to me the author used the relation ##\omega^2 = \frac k m## for the frequency of an harmonic oscillator, where -in this case- ##k = \phi_p## and ##m = \frac 1 {\rho p^2}##.
No, I don’t think so

dRic2

Gold Member
Why not ? It looks like the total energy of an HO... BTW I'm sorry but that's the only thing I could think of

Why not ? It looks like the total energy of an HO... BTW I'm sorry but that's the only thing I could think of
cuz in his notation (eq1.8) he has rho bar he forgot the divsion symbol. this is a book called qft in stat phys by A. Abrikosov btw. previously he mentioned in low temp He4 energy is proportional to momentum

dRic2

Gold Member
Sorry, I'm not following. If you compare that equation with ##\frac 1 2 m \dot x ^2 + \frac 1 2 k x^2## it is straightforward to obtain ##\omega ^2 = \frac k m##

ah you are right my apologies for being pretentious, your way is a pretty elegant solution

Sorry, I'm not following. If you compare that equation with ##\frac 1 2 m \dot x ^2 + \frac 1 2 k x^2## it is straightforward to obtain ##\omega ^2 = \frac k m##
thank you