1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help on complex fourier expansion.

1. Jun 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    To prove:

[tex]e^{ax} = \frac{sinh(\pi a)}{\pi}\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{a^2+n^2}(a cos(nx) + n sin(nx))[/tex]

For [itex] -\pi < x < \pi \hbox{ and a is real and not equal 0} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Given:

[tex] \int^{\pi}_{\pi} e^{ax} e^{-jnx}dx = \int^{\pi}_{\pi} C_n e^{jnx} e^{-jnx} dx = 2\pi C_n [/tex]

[tex] C_n = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int^{\pi}_{\pi} e^{ax} e^{-jnx}dx [/tex]

[tex] f(x)=e^{ax} = \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} C_n e^{jnx}[/tex]

[tex]e^{ax} = \frac{sinh(\pi a)}{\pi}\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{a-jn} e^{jnx}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]e^{ax} = \frac{sinh(\pi a)}{\pi}\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{a-jn} e^{jnx} = \frac{sinh(\pi a)}{\pi}\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{a^2+ n^2}(a+jn)[cos(nx) + jsin(nx)][/tex]

[tex] (-1)^{-n}=(-1)^n \Rightarrow \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{j(-1)^n n}{a^2+ n^2} = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow e^{ax} = \frac{asinh(\pi a)}{\pi}\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{a^2+ n^2}[cos(nx) + jsin(nx)][/tex]

I cannot see how to get from this to this:

[tex]e^{ax} = \frac{sinh(\pi a)}{\pi}\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{a^2+n^2}(a cos(nx) + n sin(nx))[/tex]

Please help me.

Thanks

Alan

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If you group the +n and -n terms together, you can write the sum as

[tex]\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{a-jn} e^{jnx} = \frac{1}{a}+\sum_{n=1}^\infty \left[\frac{(-1)^n}{a-jn} e^{jnx} + \frac{(-1)^{-n}}{a-j(-n)} e^{j(-n)x}\right][/tex]

Try simplifying what's inside the square brackets.

4. Jun 14, 2010 #3
    Thanks for your reply. I worked on this and I still going nowhere. THis is what I have:

[tex]\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{a-jn} e^{jnx} = \frac{1}{a}+\sum_{n=1}^\infty [\frac{(-1)^n}{a-jn} e^{jnx} + \frac{(-1)^{-n}}{a-j(-n)} e^{j(-n)x}] =

\frac{1}{a}+\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{a^2+n^2} [a(e^{jnx} + e^{-jnx}) + jn(e^{jnx} + e^{-jnx})][/tex]

[tex]= \frac{1}{a}+\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{a^2+n^2} [2a(cos(nx)) + j2n(sin(nx))][/tex]

Still with this, it is no where close to the answer. The important thing is the answer contain sum from [itex]n=-\infty \hbox{ to } n=\infty[/tex]

5. Jun 15, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're close. Remember that sin(nx) has a 2j on the bottom, not just a 2.

EDIT: I checked the formula you're trying to prove, and there's a mistake in it. It should be

[tex]e^{ax} = \frac{\sinh \pi a}{\pi}\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{a^2+n^2}(a \cos nx - n \sin nx)[/tex]

The sign of the sine term is wrong in the original.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  6. Jun 15, 2010 #5
    I went through my derivation again and I found out what I did wrong. This is my new finding:

[tex]\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} (-1)^n n[cos(nx)] = ...... (-1)^{-2}(-2)cos(-2x) + (-1)^{-1}(-1)cos(-x) + 0 + (-1)^1(1)cos(x) + (-1)^2(2)cos(2x).......... [/tex]

[tex]= .......-2cos(2x) +cos(x) + 0 - cos(x) + 2cos(2x)..........= 0[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} (-1)^n a[sin(nx)] = ...... (-1)^{-2}(a)sin(-2x) + (-1)^{-1}(a)sin(-x) + 0 + (-1)^1(a)sin(x) + (-1)^2(a)sin(2x).......... [/tex]

[tex]= .......-a[sin(2x)] +a[sin(x)] + 0 - a[sin(x)] + a[sin(2x)]..........= 0[/tex]

With that, I go on to substitude into the original equation:

[tex]e^{ax} = \frac{sinh(\pi a)}{\pi}\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{a-jn} e^{jnx} = \frac{sinh(\pi a)}{\pi}\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{a^2+ n^2}(a+jn)[cos(nx) + jsin(nx)][/tex]

[tex]= \frac{sinh(\pi a)}{\pi}\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{a^2+ n^2}[a(cos(nx)) + jn(cos(nx)) +ja(sin(nx))-n(sin(nx))] [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{sinh(\pi a)}{\pi}\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{a^2+ n^2}[a(cos(nx)) -n(sin(nx))][/tex]

My original assumption was wrong and now I got the answer. Thanks for your help anyway.

Alan

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook