Please help understanding what the question is asking Calc II (Conics)

• Thread starter StudentofSci
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conics
In summary: The vertex (2,3) is in the standard form equation x=-\frac{b}{2a} and the symmetry axis (1,5) intersects the x-axis at that point. The equation for the parabola is then x= 1.
StudentofSci

Homework Statement

Find an equation is standard form for the conic that satisfies the given condition.
Parabola: vertex (2,3), vertical axis passing through (1,5)

Homework Equations

vertex= (h,k)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve a problem like this if I was given the vertex and/or any combination of focus, directrix, p, etc. What is confusing me about this problem is "vertical axis passing through 1,5". In all of my HW problems I have never encountered a problem in which this was given as information to find the equation. I do not know what it has to do with the problem or how that information allows me to continue on.
Any help on what relevance that has for this problem/ equations relevant to that to allow me to work this out would be very much appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The axis of symmetry in standard form is the line: [itex]x=-\frac{b}{2a}[/itex]

Thank your reply. However, I do not think that equation is relevant to this problem. This being because the only information I am given is the vertex aside from that. The vertex is in the form (h,k). Other than that x is given to me if the "vertical axis" is actually the "vertically axis of symmetry" and we would then have 1=-b/2a. Perhaps I do not have enough mathematical knowledge to solve for b and a given only x in that equation and if that is the case could you please show me how you would do so. Thank you.

StudentofSci said:

Draw the graph and attach it to your reply. You'll notice that it isn't "typical" where the axis of symmetry is parallel to the x-axis or y-axis.

What you are given, if it actually uses the word "vertical", is impossible. The vertical line through (1, 5) has equation x= 1. The vertex of the parabola must lie on that axis but (2, 3) does not. It might well be that the "axis of symmetry" is NOT vertical (so that word should not be used) but is the line through (2, 3) and (1, 5), y= -2(x-2)+ 3= -2x+ 7. However, knowing only that and the vertex is still not enough to determine the conic section. There exist an infinite number of parabolas havinng a given axis of symmetry and vertex, having different foci.

StudentofSci said:

Homework Statement

Find an equation is standard form for the conic that satisfies the given condition.

Homework Equations

vertex= (h,k)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve a problem like this if I was given the vertex and/or any combination of focus, directrix, p, etc. What is confusing me about this problem is "vertical axis passing through 1,5". In all of my HW problems I have never encountered a problem in which this was given as information to find the equation. I do not know what it has to do with the problem or how that information allows me to continue on.
Any help on what relevance that has for this problem/ equations relevant to that to allow me to work this out would be very much appreciated, thank you.

As written the problem is self-contradictory. However, if you replace the words "vertical axis" by "symmetry axis" the problem makes sense; it is asking about a slanted parabola that is tilted away from vertical orientation. Then there are infinitely many possible candidates, because the supplied information is not enough to determine a unique parabola; just make yourself a rough sketch to understand why.

RGV

1. What are conics in Calc II?

Conics are a type of curve that can be described using algebraic equations in two dimensions. They include circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas.

2. How are conics related to calculus?

In calculus, conics are used to solve problems involving curves and their rates of change. They are also used to model real-world phenomena, such as the orbit of planets around the sun.

3. What are the key concepts to understand in order to solve conic problems in Calc II?

Some key concepts to understand include the general form of conic equations, the properties of each type of conic, and the use of derivatives and integrals in solving conic problems.

4. How can I identify the type of conic given an equation?

The type of conic can be identified by examining the coefficients and constants in the equation. For example, if the equation contains both x^2 and y^2 terms with different coefficients, it is likely an ellipse. If the equation contains only x^2 or y^2, it is likely a parabola. If the equation contains both x^2 and y^2 terms with the same sign, it is likely a hyperbola.

5. What are some common applications of conics in real life?

Conics are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. They can be used to model the paths of projectiles, the shapes of satellite orbits, and the design of reflectors for telescopes.