Polar equations of conics question

In summary, In this problem, I've been given the vertices of the hyperbola as (4, pi/2) and (-1, 3pi/2). The question asks to find the polar equation of this hyperbola. So what I did was do a quick sketch of the graph. (4, pi/2) is essentially (0,4) and (-1, 3pi/2) is essentially (0,1). The midpoint of the two vertices is (0,2.5) so that's the center. Since the focus is at (0,0), c = 2.5 and a = 1.5, therefore e = c/a and e = 5/
demonelite123
for this problem, I've been given the vertices of the hyperbola as (4, pi/2) and (-1, 3pi/2). the question asks to find the polar equation of this hyperbola.

so what i did was do a quick sketch of the graph. (4, pi/2) is essentially (0,4) and (-1, 3pi/2) is essentially (0,1). the midpoint of the two vertices is (0,2.5) so that's the center. since the focus is at (0,0), c = 2.5 and a = 1.5

therefore e = c/a and e = 5/3

so i wrote out the equation r = (5/3)p / 1 + (5/3)sin& since the directrix is above the x-axis or polar axis between the two vertices. (by the way I'm using "&" to stand for the greek letter theta.)

then i just used one of the points they gave me (4, pi/2) and plugged it into the equation to solve for p. 4 = (5/3)p / (1 + (5/3)) when i solve for p, i get that p = 32/5.

however when i plug in the other point they gave me for the hyperbola (-1, 3pi/2), i get a different p value. -1 = (5/3)p / (1 - (5/3)) and when i solve for p i get that p = 2/5.

what's going on? how come the p values are different? both points are vertices of the hyperbola so i don't know why I'm getting different answers. the back of my textbook says that p = 8/5. how did the book get that? and how am i getting two different p values? please help me! I'm so confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you using for the eccentricity? Assuming the vertices are also given in polar coordinates, the vertices are at (0, 4) and (0, -1) so the center is at (0,3/2) but there are an infinite number of hyperboles that fit that.

the vertices they have given me are (4, pi/2) and (-1, 3pi/2) which in rectangular coordinates is (0,4) and (0,1) so the center of the hyperbola is (0,5/2) and (0,0) is one focus of the hyperbola.

so using that info i determined that c = 2.5 (the distance from center to focus) and a = 1.5 (distance from center to vertex). and i know that e = c/a, so i did e = 2.5 / 1.5 = 5/3

so my eccentricity of this hyperbola is 5/3.

demonelite123 said:
so i wrote out the equation r = (5/3)p / 1 + (5/3)sin& since the directrix is above the x-axis or polar axis between the two vertices. (by the way I'm using "&" to stand for the greek letter theta.)

Hmmm... shouldn't this be:

[tex]r=\frac{\left(\frac{5}{3}\right)p}{-1+\left(\frac{5}{3}\right)\sin(\theta)}[/tex]

?:wink:

hm in my textbook, they only show the formulas r = ep / (1 +/- cos(&)) and r = ep / (1 +/- sin(&))

(& stands for "theta")

how did you get the -1 in your equation?

Related to Polar equations of conics question

1. What are polar equations of conics?

Polar equations of conics are mathematical equations that describe the shape of a conic section, such as a circle, ellipse, parabola, or hyperbola, using polar coordinates. These equations are written in terms of the distance from the origin (r) and the angle from the positive x-axis (θ).

2. How do you convert between Cartesian and polar equations of conics?

To convert a Cartesian equation of a conic to its polar form, you can use the following formulas: For a circle, r = √(x² + y²), for an ellipse, r = a√(1 - e²cos²θ), for a parabola, r = (2p)/[1 ± cos(θ)], and for a hyperbola, r = a√(e²cos²θ - 1).

3. What are some common applications of polar equations of conics?

Polar equations of conics are used in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, astronomy, and navigation. They can be used to describe the orbits of planets and satellites, the shape of lenses and mirrors, and the trajectory of projectiles.

4. How do you graph polar equations of conics?

To graph a polar equation of a conic, you can plot points by choosing values for θ and calculating the corresponding value of r. Then, connect the points to create a curve. You can also use a graphing calculator or software to plot the equation and adjust the viewing window to see the full shape of the conic.

5. What is the difference between polar and rectangular equations of conics?

The main difference between polar and rectangular equations of conics is the coordinate system used. Polar equations use polar coordinates, which are based on distance and angle, while rectangular equations use Cartesian coordinates, which are based on x and y coordinates. Additionally, polar equations are often simpler and more efficient for describing conics with a focus at the origin, while rectangular equations are more useful for conics with a focus at a point other than the origin.