1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar equations of conics question

1. Jun 11, 2009 #1
    for this problem, i've been given the vertices of the hyperbola as (4, pi/2) and (-1, 3pi/2). the question asks to find the polar equation of this hyperbola.

so what i did was do a quick sketch of the graph. (4, pi/2) is essentially (0,4) and (-1, 3pi/2) is essentially (0,1). the midpoint of the two vertices is (0,2.5) so that's the center. since the focus is at (0,0), c = 2.5 and a = 1.5

therefore e = c/a and e = 5/3

so i wrote out the equation r = (5/3)p / 1 + (5/3)sin& since the directrix is above the x axis or polar axis between the two vertices. (by the way i'm using "&" to stand for the greek letter theta.)

then i just used one of the points they gave me (4, pi/2) and plugged it into the equation to solve for p. 4 = (5/3)p / (1 + (5/3)) when i solve for p, i get that p = 32/5.

however when i plug in the other point they gave me for the hyperbola (-1, 3pi/2), i get a different p value. -1 = (5/3)p / (1 - (5/3)) and when i solve for p i get that p = 2/5.

what's going on? how come the p values are different? both points are vertices of the hyperbola so i don't know why i'm getting different answers. the back of my textbook says that p = 8/5. how did the book get that? and how am i getting two different p values? please help me! i'm so confused.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What are you using for the eccentricity? Assuming the vertices are also given in polar coordinates, the vertices are at (0, 4) and (0, -1) so the center is at (0,3/2) but there are an infinite number of hyperboles that fit that.

4. Jun 12, 2009 #3
    the vertices they have given me are (4, pi/2) and (-1, 3pi/2) which in rectangular coordinates is (0,4) and (0,1) so the center of the hyperbola is (0,5/2) and (0,0) is one focus of the hyperbola.

so using that info i determined that c = 2.5 (the distance from center to focus) and a = 1.5 (distance from center to vertex). and i know that e = c/a, so i did e = 2.5 / 1.5 = 5/3

so my eccentricity of this hyperbola is 5/3.

5. Jun 12, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hmmm... shouldn't this be:

[tex]r=\frac{\left(\frac{5}{3}\right)p}{-1+\left(\frac{5}{3}\right)\sin(\theta)}[/tex]

???:wink:

6. Jun 18, 2009 #5
    hm in my textbook, they only show the formulas r = ep / (1 +/- cos(&)) and r = ep / (1 +/- sin(&))

(& stands for "theta")

how did you get the -1 in your equation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook