1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help with an acceleration and distance problem

1. Sep 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rocket sled goes down a track at a speed of 632 miles/hr. The sled is then brought to a rest in 1.40 seconds. Determine the a) negative acceleration experienced on the sled and b) the distance traveled during the negative acceleration.

2. Relevant equations
    I attempted to calculate the acceleration using the a = change in velocity divided by change in time. The answer in my book was -202 meters/second squared, which i didn't understand because when I tried converting my result to met/sec, it did not match this. it was too much: -661.4 met/sec. i also tried calculating the distance traveled using the distance formula: x= xi + vit + 1/2 at^2 This also didn't work because I realized when I tried converting my answer to met/seconds, it was still way too much. The book's answer was 119 meters. My answer was 1, 495.2 meters. I thought that I used the correct formulas but there must be something I am missing.

3. The attempt at a solution
    See above.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Be carefull with signs!
    The equations are quite simple, v = u + at for the acceleration and v2 = u2 + 2as for the distance.

4. Sep 17, 2008 #3
    ok thanks! i think i was not aware of a few of the simpler equations to use when solving these problems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?