How Do You Prove That sup(S ∪ T) Equals max{supS, supT}?

In summary: L is the sup of T then from the definition of sup, there must exist an element of T such that L is greater than that element. definitely. this is the tricky part. you have to be careful not to assume that T exists.
???TRU???
Please help with analysis proof!

hey all,

i was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on how to complete or even begin this proof. here it is:

prove that sup(S union T)= max{supS,supT}. Do not assume S is a subset of T.

AHHHHHH!

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
step by step: what is the definition of sup{SuT}?

this is trivial. you have not even tried it have you?

i.e. intuitively, the biggest number in the union of two sets is either the biggest number in one or the other.

this problem is the same plus the clumsiness of sups.

mathwonk said:
this is trivial. you have not even tried it have you?

i.e. intuitively, the biggest number in the union of two sets is either the biggest number in one or the other.

this problem is the same plus the clumsiness of sups.

no, no I've tried. I understand the answer, the problem for me is showing it. Mainly that the max of the set exists in the union.

i guess another problem is i can't get around SupT doesn't have to exist in Sup SUT, but it could be the max of the set.

Oh well.

p.s. what's with the rage? I am not claiming to be an expert.

thanks to you two for replying.

It'ds not rage its frustration. sorry. start as suggested with the definition of sup. L is the sup of a set S if no element of the set S is larger than L, but elements of S do get as close to L as desired. Hence if L is the larger of the sups of S and T then L is at least as large as all elements of both S and T, and if L is the sup of S say, then surely there are elements of S hence also of SuT which get as close to L as you want. hence L is alkso the sup of SuT.

Where did you get stuck here? Thjs follows immediately from the definitions of the words.

now you try the other direction.

Last edited:

FAQ: How Do You Prove That sup(S ∪ T) Equals max{supS, supT}?

1. What is an analysis proof?

An analysis proof is a method used to prove or disprove a hypothesis or theory by systematically examining and interpreting data or evidence.

2. How do I conduct an analysis proof?

To conduct an analysis proof, you must first identify a research question or hypothesis, collect relevant data, analyze the data using appropriate statistical methods, and draw conclusions based on your findings.

3. What are the key components of an analysis proof?

The key components of an analysis proof include a clearly stated research question or hypothesis, a well-designed study or experiment, accurate and reliable data collection, appropriate statistical analysis, and a logical interpretation of the results.

4. What is the importance of an analysis proof in scientific research?

An analysis proof is crucial in scientific research as it allows for the systematic evaluation and validation of theories and hypotheses. It also provides evidence to support or reject claims, which helps to advance our understanding of the natural world.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when conducting an analysis proof?

Some common mistakes to avoid when conducting an analysis proof include using biased or incomplete data, misinterpreting results, and drawing conclusions that are not supported by the evidence. It is also important to use appropriate statistical methods and to carefully consider alternative explanations for your findings.