Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Please help with finding the limit of the integral

1. Dec 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to show that

[tex]\lim_{\epsilon\to 0}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\epsilon\over 2\pi [(x-x')^2+(y-y')^2+\epsilon^2]^{3\over2}}f(x,y)\;dx\,dy\,\,=f(x',y')[/tex]? I am not sure what conditions there is on [itex]f(x,y)[/itex], though I do know that [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{z\over 2\pi [(x-x')^2+(y-y')^2+z^2]^{3\over2}}f(x,y)\;dx\,dy[/tex] is well-defined for all [itex]x,y\in R[/itex] and [itex]z>0[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

Please see above section.

3. The attempt at a solution

It is possible that we couldchange variables or sth? Or maybe show that in the limit, the green's function is the delta function? Please help!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you need to show that in the limit it is a representation of a delta function. You need to i) as [itex]\epsilon[/itex]->0 that that [tex]{\epsilon\over [(x-x')^2+(y-y')^2+\epsilon^2]^{3\over2}}[/tex]
    approaches zero unless x=x' and y=y'. And ii) that for fixed [itex]\epsilon[/itex] that the integral of that is 1. Use polar coordinates around the point (x',y'). I think you actually need a bit more than that but that's a good start. To go beyond that I think you do need some conditions on f(x,y).

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  4. Dec 27, 2011 #3
    Thanks, @Dick . So we are showing that that bit is acting like a distribution, right? What conditions are required for f? Is it enough to have f tending to 0?

5. Dec 27, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The main condition you need is that f is continuous at x',y'. And sure, it shouldn't blow up at infinity so fast the integral doesn't exist.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook