1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help with finding the limit of the integral

1. Dec 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to show that

[tex]\lim_{\epsilon\to 0}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\epsilon\over 2\pi [(x-x')^2+(y-y')^2+\epsilon^2]^{3\over2}}f(x,y)\;dx\,dy\,\,=f(x',y')[/tex]? I am not sure what conditions there is on [itex]f(x,y)[/itex], though I do know that [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{z\over 2\pi [(x-x')^2+(y-y')^2+z^2]^{3\over2}}f(x,y)\;dx\,dy[/tex] is well-defined for all [itex]x,y\in R[/itex] and [itex]z>0[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

Please see above section.

3. The attempt at a solution

It is possible that we couldchange variables or sth? Or maybe show that in the limit, the green's function is the delta function? Please help!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you need to show that in the limit it is a representation of a delta function. You need to i) as [itex]\epsilon[/itex]->0 that that [tex]{\epsilon\over [(x-x')^2+(y-y')^2+\epsilon^2]^{3\over2}}[/tex]
    approaches zero unless x=x' and y=y'. And ii) that for fixed [itex]\epsilon[/itex] that the integral of that is 1. Use polar coordinates around the point (x',y'). I think you actually need a bit more than that but that's a good start. To go beyond that I think you do need some conditions on f(x,y).

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  4. Dec 27, 2011 #3
    Thanks, @Dick . So we are showing that that bit is acting like a distribution, right? What conditions are required for f? Is it enough to have f tending to 0?

5. Dec 27, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The main condition you need is that f is continuous at x',y'. And sure, it shouldn't blow up at infinity so fast the integral doesn't exist.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook