1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please show that Hom(Zn,Zn)=Zn.

1. Apr 7, 2012 #1
    Please show that Hom(Z/nZ,Z/nZ) isomorphic to Z/nZ.
    Thanks..

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2012 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, what are your thoughts on the problem?

4. Apr 8, 2012 #3
    Build a h: Hom(Z/nZ,Z/nZ) --> Z/nZ homomorphism determined by h(f)=f(1). Is it true?

5. Apr 8, 2012 #4
    Go from here and check whether it is well defined (i.e. actually a homomorphism), whether it is in fact injective and surjective (sometimes called one-to-one and onto) then determine whether the inverse is also a homomorphism.

6. Apr 8, 2012 #5
    Actually, it is not necessary to check that the homomorphism is injective or surjective: he's asking for Hom(Z/nZ,Z/nZ), not Aut(Z/nZ), so the maps need not be isomorphisms.

7. Apr 8, 2012 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He needs to check that house map from hom to Zn is injective and surjective

8. Apr 8, 2012 #7
    Exactly the map h mentioned above does actually need to be an isomorphism thus injective and surjective. Also the inverse map needs to be a homomorphism.

The elements of Hom(Z/nZ, Z/nZ) do not need to be isomorphisms.

The trick here is of course to see that homomorphism are uniquely defined by their image of 1 To show this you need to use the fact that they are homomorphisms

9. Apr 8, 2012 #8
    Oops, I didn't read carefully enough! Yes, the map h:Hom(Z/nZ,Z/nZ)--->Z/nZ must be an isomorphism; I was thinking of the elements of Hom(Z/nZ,Z/nZ), which of course don't have to be isomorphisms.

10. Apr 8, 2012 #9
    Yes the elements of hom dont need to be isomorphism just being homomorphism is enough. And i think i found proof.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook