1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please tell me the definition of this problem!

1. Nov 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the unique vector which is perpendicular on x2+y2=100 at (x0,y0)=(6,8).

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\nabla[/tex]F[tex]/[/tex] [tex]\left|[/tex] [tex]\nabla[/tex]F [tex]\left|[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I think the solution is [tex]\nabla[/tex]F[tex]/[/tex] [tex]\left|[/tex] [tex]\nabla[/tex]F [tex]\left|[/tex] but I don't know how to calculate [tex]\nabla[/tex]F for x2+y2=100
    I know [tex]\nabla[/tex]F=([tex]\partial[/tex]F[tex]/[/tex][tex]\partial[/tex]x,[tex]\partial[/tex]F[tex]/[/tex][tex]\partial[/tex]y,[tex]\partial[/tex]F[tex]/[/tex][tex]\partial[/tex]z)
    Please tell me how I can find the answer. What is F here?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

F(x,y)=x^2+y^2-100. The level surface is F(x,y)=0. Now do the gradient. Or F(x,y)=x^2+y^2 and the level surface is F(x,y)=100, your choice.

4. Nov 10, 2009 #3
    So in this case the solution is [tex]\nabla[/tex]F[tex]/[/tex][tex]\left|[/tex][tex]\nabla[/tex]F[tex]\left|[/tex] = (0.6,0.8) Is it correct?
    ([tex]\nabla[/tex]F=(2x,2y)).

5. Nov 10, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you mean to find the unit normal to the circle, sure, that's right.

6. Nov 10, 2009 #5
    Thank you very much really. I actually translated the problem from persian to English, but I think it is now correct. Again thank you very much for your great generosity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook