Plot Graphene Distribition Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with plotting a figure using Mathematica and an attached article. The article refers to elliptic integrals, but there seems to be an error in the equation for g2. The conversation includes suggestions and attempts to fix the issue, as well as a request for help in running the code. The conversation ends with a reminder to consider previous replies and to not expect others to provide code.
vesta33
Hi.

According to the attached article I couldn't draw fig1 with eq1 using mathematica.
graphene_zps35285026.jpg

Attachments

• PhysRev.89.662.pdf
    96.9 KB · Views: 583
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi vesta33. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Is there a question or something you intended should accompany your post?

Not that I will be able to help, but someone else may offer to ...

Last edited by a moderator:
NascentOxygen said:
Is there a question or something you intended should accompany your post?

Not that I will be able to help, but someone else may offer to ...
I'll bite.

You realize that ##g(\bar\omega^2)## is defined by different equations depending on the value of ##\bar\omega^2##? And that the figure in the paper plots ##g(\bar\omega^2)## as a function of ##\bar\omega^2##, not ##\bar\omega##?

NascentOxygen and DrClaude, thank you for answers. I plotted this without elliptic integral. But this article referred to elliptic integrals. DrClaude, I am aware of your writings but mathematica has given error mesage:
error_zpscae5b065.jpg

Last edited:
Instead of using w^2 in the equation for g7, define a variable w2 that corresponds to ##\bar\omega^2##.

I had tried.
bug_zps55e289a1.jpg

In the argument of the elliptic integral, you're missing the cube in ##(2-3\bar\omega^2)^3##.

You are right. But after I tried all variable ranges with correct code, nothing changed. Mathematica file is attached for anyone intersted in this plot. Thanks for help.

Attachments

• graphene2.nb
    10.9 KB · Views: 460
You posted this in a homework forum, but am I correct in assuming that this is not homework?

Looking at your file, you have in it
Code:
g2 = (9/\[Pi]^2) ((1 - 2 w)/(3 w (2 - 3 w)^3)^(1/2)) 
       (EllipticK[(1 - 2 w)/(w (2 - 3 w)^3)])^(1/2);
Plot[g2, {w^2, 0, 1}]
First, the argument of the elliptic integral is incorrect. The square root should be over the argument itself, not the entire integral. Second, you need to plot with respect to w, not w^2. Third, the equation for g you have there is only valid in the range ##1/3 \leq \bar\omega^2 \leq 1/2##. Therefore, you should have
Code:
g2 = (9/\[Pi]^2) ((1 - 2 w)/(3 w (2 - 3 w)^3)^(1/2))
      EllipticK[((1 - 2 w)/(w (2 - 3 w)^3))^(1/2)];
Plot[g2, {w, 1/3, 1/2}]

I should stress that I know mathematica. I had tried all possibly variaions before wrote here. If anyone wants help me please first of all run the code. I think mathematica or the article has a bug. Please nobody reply the message without running the code.

I will try to be as diplomatic as possible, but your latest post has made me cross. I was guiding you towards the solution to your problem, but instead of trying what I suggested, you reply without any new attempts.

vesta33 said:
I should stress that I know mathematica.
Then you should know why the statement
Code:
Plot[g2, {w^2, 0, 1}]
is not valid.

vesta33 said:
I had tried all possibly variaions before wrote here.
Obviously not, because you have not been able to reproduce the graph.

vesta33 said:
If anyone wants help me please first of all run the code.
I did, told you what was wrong, and even gave you a correct replacement code, which is at least valid for part of the ##\bar{\omega}## domain.

vesta33 said:
I think mathematica or the article has a bug.
Both are fine. I was able to reproduce the figure in a couple of minutes. Before you ask for my code, note that this is not how things are done on PF. We don't feed you fish, we help with the fishing.

vesta33 said:
Please nobody reply the message without running the code.
Please do not reply before taking into account the replies of others.

1. What is Plot Graphene Distribution Problem?

Plot Graphene Distribution Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the optimal way to distribute a given amount of graphene particles onto a surface in order to achieve a desired distribution pattern.

2. Why is Plot Graphene Distribution Problem important?

Plot Graphene Distribution Problem is important because it has practical applications in industries such as electronics, energy, and biomedicine. By understanding the optimal distribution of graphene particles, we can improve the performance of devices and applications that use graphene.

3. What are some challenges in solving Plot Graphene Distribution Problem?

One of the main challenges in solving Plot Graphene Distribution Problem is the large number of variables involved, including the shape and size of the surface, the desired distribution pattern, and the properties of the graphene particles. Another challenge is finding an efficient algorithm to solve the problem in a reasonable amount of time.

4. How is Plot Graphene Distribution Problem typically solved?

Plot Graphene Distribution Problem is typically solved using mathematical models and algorithms, such as genetic algorithms, simulated annealing, and convex optimization. These methods allow for the efficient and accurate determination of the optimal distribution of graphene particles.

5. What are the potential future developments in Plot Graphene Distribution Problem?

As our understanding of graphene and its properties continues to grow, we can expect to see more accurate and efficient methods for solving Plot Graphene Distribution Problem. In addition, advancements in technology and computing power may allow for the solution of more complex and realistic distribution problems.