Plotting phase curves Mathematica

In summary, the speaker is discussing their attempts to generate a phase curve using the equations $\dot{x} = -x + ay +x^2y$ and $\dot{y} = b -ay-x^2y$. They have only been able to generate phase portraits and are seeking advice on how to create a plot that looks like the examples they have provided.
Dustinsfl
I was talking to my professor and I am tying to generate a phase curve that looks like (see attached).However, I am only been able to generate phase portraits.View attachment 94I need to generate a plot that does that.From these equations,$$\dot{x} = -x + ay +x^2y$$$$\dot{y} = b -ay-x^2y$$Here is what I have been able to generate thus farView attachment 95

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Plotting phase curves Mathematica

1. What is a phase curve in Mathematica?

A phase curve in Mathematica is a graphical representation of the relationship between two variables in a mathematical function. It shows how one variable changes in relation to another as the function is plotted over a range of values.

2. How do I plot a phase curve in Mathematica?

To plot a phase curve in Mathematica, you can use the Plot or ParametricPlot functions. These functions allow you to specify the mathematical function, the range of values, and any other desired parameters to create a phase curve.

3. Can I customize the appearance of a phase curve in Mathematica?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of a phase curve in Mathematica by using various options and parameters in the Plot or ParametricPlot functions. You can change the colors, line styles, labels, and other elements to suit your needs.

4. How do I add multiple phase curves in one plot in Mathematica?

To add multiple phase curves in one plot in Mathematica, you can use the Show function. This function allows you to combine multiple plots into one, making it easy to compare and analyze different phase curves.

5. Can I export a phase curve plot from Mathematica to use in other programs?

Yes, you can export a phase curve plot from Mathematica in various formats, such as image files (PNG, JPEG, etc.), PDF, or even as a Mathematica notebook. This allows you to use the plot in other programs or share it with others who may not have access to Mathematica.