Plotting Phase Diagrams (Temperature vs Composition)

In summary, the conversation discusses the plotting of phase diagrams for temperature versus composition, using the formula ln(x) = \frac{\Delta H}{R} (\frac{1}{T_A} - \frac{1}{T}) from the Clapeyron equation. It mentions the use of an ideal solution for two metals in the L state and a regular solution for the S state. The eutectic temperature and enthalpy of fusion are also discussed. However, the resulting graph does not match the expected eutectic line and there may be a better equation to use for plotting the binary eutectic phase diagram. It is suggested that the Clapeyron equation may not be reliable for compositions far from x
nyxynyx
I'm planning to plot phase diagrams of Temperature vs Composition. I found the formula [tex]ln(x) = \frac{\Delta H}{R} (\frac{1}{T_A} - \frac{1}{T})[/tex] from the Clapeyron equation.

Its a ideal solution of 2 metals in L state and regular solution in S state. Eutectic temperature is at 850C and enthalpy of fusion is \Delta H = 2500 cal/mol (which I converted to 10460 joules) with heat capacity constant, and both materials melt at [tex]T_A[/tex] = 1000C. Rearranging to make T the subject got me T = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{T_A} - \frac{R ln(X_A)}{\delta H}

[tex]T = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{T_A} - \frac{R ln(X_A)}{\delta H}[/tex]

However the graph that I get when plotted out in Matlab does not look like a eutectic graph. I plotted 1-X and X for both metals, and T=1150 for the eutectic line but they don't seem to match. The eutectic point is way lower than the eutecetic line. Did I do something wrong? Thanks!

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5455/54676710.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
The Clapeyron equation relies on some simplifying assumptions, one of which is that the solid state is absolutely pure. I wouldn't expect it to be perfectly reliable far away from [itex]x_B=0[/itex] or 1.

Is there a better equation to use to plot out the binary eutectic phase diagram?

Im still unable to figure this out... need a little help thanks :)

I would suggest checking your calculations and equations again to ensure accuracy. It is possible that a small error in your calculations could lead to a significant difference in the resulting phase diagram. Additionally, I would recommend using multiple sources and references to cross-check your findings and equations.

Furthermore, it is important to consider the assumptions and limitations of the Clapeyron equation and the ideal solution model you are using. In reality, there may be other factors at play that could affect the phase diagram, such as non-ideal behavior and interactions between the two metals.

I would also suggest considering using a different software or program to plot the phase diagram, as it is possible that the issue could be with the plotting software rather than your calculations.

Overall, it is important to carefully review and double-check your work and to consider any potential limitations or sources of error when interpreting the results.

What is a phase diagram?

A phase diagram is a graphical representation of the physical states of a substance (solid, liquid, and gas) at different temperatures and compositions. It shows the conditions at which these phases coexist and the boundaries between them.

How is temperature related to a phase diagram?

Temperature is typically plotted on the x-axis of a phase diagram, representing the range of temperatures at which the substance is stable in a particular phase. As temperature increases, the substance may transition from a solid to a liquid or a liquid to a gas, as shown by the phase boundaries on the diagram.

What is composition in a phase diagram?

Composition refers to the relative amounts of different components in a substance. In a phase diagram, composition is typically plotted on the y-axis and represents the concentration of one component in a mixture. It helps to determine the different phases that can coexist at a given temperature.

How is a phase diagram useful?

A phase diagram is useful for understanding the physical behavior of a substance under different conditions. It can help predict the phase a substance will be in at a specific temperature and composition, as well as identify points where phase transitions occur.

What factors affect the shape of a phase diagram?

The shape of a phase diagram can be affected by factors such as pressure, temperature, and the nature of the substance (e.g. molecular structure, intermolecular forces). These factors can change the conditions at which phases coexist and the boundaries between them, resulting in different shapes of the diagram.