Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pn junction, diode and energy level of conduction band during forward biasing

1. Feb 16, 2012 #1
    Hello Forum,

I am looking at the energy levels between the n and p regions of a diode. The p-side has a conduction band that starts at a higher energy (same for the valence band).
    The n-side has the valence and condution bands that are at lower energy.

The Fermi energy line is the same for both....

I don't understand what happens to the energy level of the conduction band when the diode is forward biased....
    does the conduction band of the p side gets lower and the conduction band of the n-side gets higher? Why? Do they need to match?

thanks
    fisico30

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2012 #2
    I guess I am talking about the energy gradient that an electron in the n-side needs to climb....

Does forward biasing reduce that energy difference? Why does that energy difference exist?

Again, The valence band and conduction band in N-Type material are slightly lower than that of P-Type material.

4. Feb 16, 2012 #3
    Or is the tension on the string that plays the role of the centripetal force?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook