Point charges on equilateral triangle no idea what's wrong.

In summary, the electrostatic force on particle 1 due to particle 2 is 1.6 Newtons, and the electrostatic force on particle 3 is -.8 Newtons.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

These are really frustrating because they seem so simple, I work them all out without a hitch only to find that I'm wrong half the time and left wondering why.

In fig 21-26a, particles 1 and 2 have charge 20 microcoulombs each and are held at separation distance d = 1.5 meters.

(1 is located above 2)

a.) What is the magnitude of the electrostatic force on 1 due to 2?
b.) Particle 3 is also of charge 20 microcoulombs and is placed to the right-center of 1 and 2, forming an equilateral triangle with 1 and 2. Find the net electrostatic force on 1 due to 2 and 3.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part, I have correct.

[itex]F = kq_{1}q_{2}r^{-2} = (8.99x10^{9})(20x10^{6})(20x10^{6})(1.5)^{2} = 1.6 N[/itex]

The second part, I do not have correct.

Since the magnitude of the force from 2 is 1.6 N and it is located below 1, the vector of the force is just 1.6j.

Since the particles make an equilateral triangle, every angle is 60*. Since 3 is to the right, the positive angle to 1 from 3 is 120*.

Therefore the unit vector that points from 3 to 1 is cos(120)i + sin(120)j.

Since the magnitude of force from 3 to 1 is also 1.6, the vector of the force due to 3 is:

[itex]1.6cos(120)i + 1.6sin(120)j = -.8i + 1.38j[/itex]

Adding the j components, the vector of all force on 1 is:

-.8i + 2.98j which has a magnitude of roughly 3.09 Newtons.

The book answer is 2.77. I don't even understand how their result makes sense. 2 and 3 are purely additive, they are both below 1 and 2 has no x component while 3 does.

Help? TIA

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, 1MileCrash. 120o??

Was my explanation poor?

I just wanted you to focus on the 120o. I don't think 120o is the angle you want for constructing the unit vector from 3 to 1. I'm sure you've drawn a sketch, but you might look at it again.

Nevermind, I get you!

It's not 120* because I was subtracting the full 60 from 180 when I should only be subtracting half of that 60 from 180, to get 150. Right?

Try it and see :wink:

Fair enough, thank you sir!

1. What is the concept of point charges on an equilateral triangle?

Point charges on an equilateral triangle refer to the distribution of electric charges at the three vertices of an equilateral triangle. This configuration is often used in electrostatics to study the properties of electric fields.

2. How are the charges distributed on an equilateral triangle?

The charges on an equilateral triangle are typically equal in magnitude but opposite in sign, meaning one vertex has a positive charge and the other two have negative charges. This creates an overall neutral triangle.

3. What is the significance of using an equilateral triangle for studying electric fields?

An equilateral triangle allows for a symmetrical and uniform distribution of charges, making it easier to analyze and calculate the electric field at any point within the triangle. This configuration is also useful for understanding the concept of electric potential and potential energy.

4. Can the charges on an equilateral triangle be non-uniform?

Yes, in some cases, the charges on an equilateral triangle may not be equal in magnitude or opposite in sign. This can lead to an overall non-neutral triangle and can affect the electric field and potential at different points within the triangle.

5. How are point charges on an equilateral triangle different from other charge distributions?

Point charges on an equilateral triangle are a specific and simplified configuration used for studying electric fields and potential. Other charge distributions, such as a line of charges or a charged sphere, may have more complex and varied electric field patterns and calculations.