Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pointer to data wanted please -- looking for a primer on phased array radar

1. May 20, 2017 #1
    Fair warning: I can handle basic physics stuff, but probably nothing post-collegiate. :)

Specifically, I'm looking for a primer on phased array radar that will tell me two things: 1) what are the practical physical (antenna) requirements for running a PAR system in the 800MHz/5GHz bands, and 2) What kind of circuit is used to do the phase-adjustment work for the various transmitter antennae?

I know this sounds outlandish, but with the recent explosion of cheap DIY/Arduino radar sensor boards, it seems like this RF territory must have been pretty thoroughly thrashed out - somewhere there is a textbook or batch of papers that will talk about this with some authority, right?

Alternatively, are there any colleges in southern California with RF labs/departments that specialize in this kind of stuff?

-Jeff Evarts, armchair polymath

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2017 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Skolnik - Introduction to Radar Systems - Irwin . Most excellent book .

4. May 20, 2017 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Are you looking to do both TX and RX with the PAR, or just RX with angular sensing of the source direction?

5. May 21, 2017 #4
    ideally I would do both tx and rx from either one or two relatively small surfaces (2cm radius-ish) but if that's mechanically prohibited due to wavelength, other solutions (like a separate transmitting antenna) can be used. This would be test/prototype gear, lovingly produced. :)

-Jeff

6. May 21, 2017 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Would this be in the ISM band? You need to be careful where you to transmitting radar signals... :smile:

7. May 21, 2017 #6
    I really don't know what band would be used... there was some speculation in the reviews of the arduino radar sensors that they operated in the shorter wavelengths, so that's what I was basing my questions on. I have NO intention of producing, using, or proselytizing illegal radio transmissions! My life is complicated enough without legal issues. :)

-Jeff

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted