Points of Analyticity and Singularity

In summary: But since ##f'(z)## does not exist, we cannot use the product rule. But we know that ##g(f(z))=g(\overline z)## is analytic. And we know that ##f(z)=\overline z## is not differentiable. So there is no way to use the product rule to prove that ##g'(f(z))## exists. And since ##g(z)=e^z## is analytic, then ##g'(f(z))=e^z##. So ##g'(f(z))## is not analytic. And so ##F'(z)=g'(f(z))*f'(z)=e^z*f'(z)## does not exist.In summary, ##F
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Determine the points for which ##f(z) = \frac{z^2 + 3}{(z-3)^2(z^2 - 4z + 5)}## is analytic and singular.

Homework Equations

Theorem 133:

Suppose c is a complex constant and suppose the derivatives of the complex
functions f and g exist at z. Then

1. Sums

##\frac{d}{dz} \left[f(z) + g(z) \right] = f'(z) + g'(z)##

2. Product rule

##\frac{d}{dz} \left[f(z)g(z) \right] = f'(z) g(z) + f(z) g'(z)##​

3. Quotient rule. For those values of ##z## where ##g(z) \ne 0##,

##\frac{d}{dz} \left[\frac{f(z)}{g(z)} \right] = \frac{f(z) g'(z) - f'(z) g(z)}{[g(z)]^2}##​

The Attempt at a Solution

Because the question of analyticity is related to a functions differentiability, before we determine at which points it is analytic and singular, let us first ascertain its differentiability.

The function ##f(z)## is a ratio of the two functions ##g(z) = z^2 + 3## and ##h(z) = (z-3)^2(z^2 - 4z + 5)##. Theorem 133, part 3, states that, if the functions ##f(z)## and ##g(z)## are differentiable at the point ##z##, then their quotient ##\frac{f(z)}{g(z)}## is differentiable at the same point ##z##, provided that ##g(z)## is not zero at this point; if it is, then the quotient is not differentiable at that point. We are therefore urged to find at the points for which ##h(z)## is zero:

##
(z-3)^2(z^2 - 4z + 5) = 0 \implies
##

##
(z - 3)^2 = 0 \implies z = 3
##

and

##
(z^2 - 4z + 5) = 0 \implies (z-5)(z+1) = 0 \implies z=-1 ~~~\mbox{or}~~~ z = 5
##

Therefore, the rational function ##f(z)## will not be differentiable at these three points.

Are there any other points at which ##h(z)## is not differentiable? From the same theorem alluded to above, the product rule tells us a similar thing which the quotient rule tells us. The function that is a product of two function is differentiable at every point that the functions in the product are. Sure enough, from problem 130 we know that ##z## and ##z^2## are differentiable functions; and from theorem 131 we know that a function which is the sum of two differentiable functions is differentiable everywhere the two functions are. For instance, because we know that ##z## is differentiable everywhere, as well as any constant function, we know that ##z-3## is also a differentiable function. Therefore, ##h(z)## is differentiable everywhere.

How about the function ##g(z)##; at which points is it differentiable? The same observations will reveal that ##g(z) = z^2 + 3## is differentiable everywhere. Therefore, the function is not differentiable at the points ##\{-1,3,5\}##, meaning that they are points of singularity. The function is analytic everywhere else.

Pardon me if this sounds rather dull and too formal (this is for homework I have to hand). I just curious to know if my reasoning is sound. I would appreciate it if someone could check my logic.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should double check your roots to the polynomial ##z^2 -4z+5##.

Likes Bashyboy
Your logic is good. Polynomial functions are some of the nicest to work with--always differentiable. Their compositions and products also. As you noticed, their quotients are not always analytic due to singularities where the denominator is equal to zero. But these singularities are always removeable, so even that is nice.

Likes Bashyboy
Thank you very much for your prompt answers. I have another question relating to analyticity and singularities. I have the function ##F(z) = e^x e^{-iy}##, and I have to determine its singularities and analyticities (?). Here is what I believe to be a rather clever answer, but I suppose that you will be the judge:

##F(z) = e^x e^{-iy} = e^{x - iy} = e^{\overline{z}}##. Let ##g(z) = e^z## and ##f(z) = \overline{z}##. By the chain rule, we get

##F'(z) = g'(f(z)) f'(z)##

Now, although I don't know what the derivative of ##e^{\overline{z}}##, nor do I even know if it exists (we haven't proven this, yet), I do know that the function ##f(z) = \overline{z}## is not differentiable anywhere (I proved this in one of the earlier problems). Because the derivative of the function ##F(z)## involves ##f'(z)##, which does not exist, by the product rule ##F'(z)## does not exist either, it is not differentiable anywhere.

Thus, every point would be a singularity.

At first this sounded pretty good; but the more deliberation I give it, the more unsure am I of it...I would like it to be true!

Last edited:
I feel like you have complicated that process too much.
Question 1: for what values of x is ##e^x## analytic?
Question 2: for what values of y is ##e^{-iy}## analytic?
Question 3: for what values would their product be analytic?

Hmm, I am not sure, because I don't know what the complex derivative of ##e^z## is.

Do you know what the derivative of ##\cos y - i \sin y## is? With you x,y notation the assumption is that x and y are both real, right?

Does differentiating it require that you differentiate each part, the real and imaginary function? If so, I don't believe that this has been demonstrated to us yet. I believe the easiest thing would be to use the chain rule, as I don't want to use the Cauchy-Riemann equations.

I have been having a tough time accepting that this was not analytic. Using the Cauchy Riemann equations, it became quickly apparent that there is a sign problem caused by the conjugate. Probably the exact reason you said ##f(z) = \overline z## is not differentiable.
Nevermind, I concur with your original logic.

And with which logic do you concur? The logic I gave in post #4?

Yes, becuase you should also have proved that ##g(z)=e^z## is analytic everywhere. So for the same reasons, ##f(z)=\overline z## is not differentiable, any function of the conjugate will run into the same problems. As you said, ##g(f(z))=g'(f(z))*f'(z)=g(f(z))*f'(z)##.

What is the difference between analyticity and singularity?

Analyticity refers to a mathematical function being differentiable at every point in its domain. This means that the function has a well-defined gradient at every point. Singularity, on the other hand, refers to a point where a function is not defined or is undefined. This could be due to a division by zero or an infinite value.

How do analyticity and singularity affect the behavior of a mathematical function?

Analyticity allows for smooth and continuous behavior of a function, while singularity can cause disruptions or anomalies in the behavior. A singularity can also indicate a breakdown in the mathematical model or problem being studied.

What is an essential singularity?

An essential singularity is a type of singularity that cannot be removed or avoided by any transformation or change of coordinates. It is considered to be a more severe type of singularity compared to other types, such as removable singularities.

Can a function be both analytic and singular?

No, a function cannot be both analytic and singular. By definition, a function cannot have a well-defined gradient at every point (analytic) and also have a point where it is undefined or breaks down (singular).

What is the importance of understanding points of analyticity and singularity in scientific research?

Analyticity and singularity can provide valuable insights and understanding into the behavior of mathematical models and physical phenomena. They can also help identify potential errors or limitations in a model, and guide researchers towards more accurate and robust solutions. Additionally, identifying points of analyticity and singularity can aid in the development of new mathematical tools and techniques for solving complex problems.