1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pointwise & uniform boundednes

1. Jan 26, 2012 #1
    In Baby Rudin, Theorem 7.25 states:
    If [itex]K[/itex] is compact, [itex]f_n \in C(K)[/itex] for [itex]n=1,2,3,...[/itex] and if [itex]{f_n}[/itex] is pointwise bounded and equicontinuous on [itex]K[/itex], then
    (a) [itex]{f_n}[/itex] is uniformly bounded on [itex]K[/itex]

The theorem continues with point (b), which I understand.

My question is, whether point (a) needs the equicontinuity, since:
    * [itex]C(K)[/itex] is a set of continuous bounded functions on a compact space, i.e. uniformly continuous, hence there is no function [itex]g[/itex] s.t. [itex]g(x) \to \infty[/itex].
    * if the previous holds, then by the hypothesis of pointwise boundedness of [itex]\{f_n\}[/itex], there must exist a number [itex]\sup_{x \in K, n=1,2,3,...} |f_n(x)| = M<\infty[/itex], [itex]x\in K[/itex] arbitrary and hence the uniform boundedness should hold.

Am I wrong?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The sequence

[itex]f_n:[0,1]\rightarrow \mathbb{R}:x\rightarrow \frac{nx}{x^2+(1-nx)^2}[/itex]

seems to be a counterexample to your claim. See example 7.21 of Rudin, I modified it a bit.

4. Jan 27, 2012 #3
    Thanks a lot! I assume, that the reason is that [itex]f_n[/itex] converges pointwise for every [itex]x\in K[/itex], but due to the points [itex]1/n[/itex] in your example, it is impossible to find a global finite [itex]M[/itex] s.t. [itex]|f_n(x)| \leq M[/itex] for all [itex]x \in K[/itex]. Right?

I really do not understand why usually things go quite well, but at some moments I get stuck with (obvious?) things :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook