Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poiseullie's Equation experiment

1. Nov 21, 2007 #1
    I am taking physics for the first time in my life (senior in undergraduate) and I haev so lost! I have to create an experiment using Poiseullie's equation. I have no idea where to start! I have tried doing some internet reserach, but I am not understanding the sites I am finding. Any suggestions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2007 #2

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

What happened when you asked your instructor for clarification/advice? Are you supposed to be searching websites or books for useful information?
  4. Nov 21, 2007 #3

Staff: Mentor

Well, after google corrected the spelling of Poiseuille for me, a lot of the hits looked pretty informative. I know that the accuracy of wikipedia.org can be questionable as you get to more complex subjects, but their page on Poiseuille's Law looks pretty good:

Do you have specific questions? What physical apparatus do you think you should use to demonstrate the flow equations?
  5. Nov 21, 2007 #4
    Well, my instructor just told me to look around for assitance. I know, not much help. She suggested looking on the internet for an experiment. I have no idea what apparatus to use, or anything really. I'm really quite lost and clueless. This is for a project, so we haven't gone over this information in class yet. I googled the topic as well, but I don't understand the lanugage used in them.
  6. Nov 21, 2007 #5

Staff: Mentor

Do you understand the figure at the wikipedia link that shows the differences in the flow for a liquid in a pipe, based on the radius from the center? What kind of physical demonstration does that imply?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?