1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poiseullie's Equation experiment

1. Nov 21, 2007 #1
    I am taking physics for the first time in my life (senior in undergraduate) and I haev so lost! I have to create an experiment using Poiseullie's equation. I have no idea where to start! I have tried doing some internet reserach, but I am not understanding the sites I am finding. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2007 #2

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

What happened when you asked your instructor for clarification/advice? Are you supposed to be searching websites or books for useful information?

4. Nov 21, 2007 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Well, after google corrected the spelling of Poiseuille for me, a lot of the hits looked pretty informative. I know that the accuracy of wikipedia.org can be questionable as you get to more complex subjects, but their page on Poiseuille's Law looks pretty good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poiseuille's_law

Do you have specific questions? What physical apparatus do you think you should use to demonstrate the flow equations?

5. Nov 21, 2007 #4
    Well, my instructor just told me to look around for assitance. I know, not much help. She suggested looking on the internet for an experiment. I have no idea what apparatus to use, or anything really. I'm really quite lost and clueless. This is for a project, so we haven't gone over this information in class yet. I googled the topic as well, but I don't understand the lanugage used in them.

6. Nov 21, 2007 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Do you understand the figure at the wikipedia link that shows the differences in the flow for a liquid in a pipe, based on the radius from the center? What kind of physical demonstration does that imply?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook