Poisson equation in R with a source at the origin

In summary, the key wants you to realize that the answer really is this (they seem to use q instead of rho): \phi = - \frac{1}{2} q |x| + Ax + B
S. Moger

Homework Statement

Solve the poisson eq. on R with a source in x=0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't done this kind of thing in years, so I'm a bit rusty, but I think that this is requested:

[itex] \Delta \phi = - \rho \delta(x)[/itex] (Edit: no wait, I need an integral here).

It doesn't seem to be a big deal. I just integrate both sides on R.

[itex] \frac{\partial\phi}{\partial x} = - \rho \int \delta(x) dx + A[/itex]

And again
[itex] \phi = - \rho x + Ax + B[/itex]

However, the key wants me to realize that the answer really is this (they seem to use q instead of rho):
[itex] \phi = - \frac{1}{2} q |x| + Ax + B[/itex]

But why? Am I doing some illegal operation here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the problem is that your integrals are indefinite, but you are treating them like definite integrals.
When you integrate the first time, you are treating the result of the integrated delta function as a constant. But it's not, it's a step function.

Note also that if you double differentiate your formula, you get zero, not a Dirac delta. So it's not a solution.

I suggest using explicit definite integrals by writing as follows:

$$\Delta \phi = - \rho \delta(x)$$
then choose ##a<0## and do
$$\int_a^x\Delta\phi(u)\,du= - \rho \int_a^x\delta(u)\,du$$

and see what happens. If you get a step function on the RHS, you know you're on the right track.

Likes S. Moger
Can I actually write like this?

[itex]\Delta \phi = - \rho \delta(x)[/itex] if I treat rho as a constant?

Wouldn't it be more correct to write an integral containing delta there to avoid the infinity problem there?

Anyway,

[itex]\Delta \phi = - \rho \delta(x)[/itex]

[itex]\int_a^x\Delta\phi(u)\,du= - \rho \int_a^x\delta(u)\,du[/itex] and a<0

[itex]\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x} - (\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}) (a) = - \rho \Theta(x)[/itex] (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I believe the second part of the lhs is a constant because phi should only depend on x. I'll call it A.

[itex]\int_b^x\partial_x\phi(u)\,du= - \rho \int_b^x \Theta(u)\,du + A(x-b)[/itex] and b<0

[itex]\phi(x) = - \rho x \Theta(x) + Ax + B[/itex]

And now I approach 0 with upper limit a>0, and combine the solutions?? The half arises from the overlap?

S. Moger said:
And now I approach 0 with upper limit a>0, and combine the solutions??
There's no need to do that, as ##a## has effectively disappeared from your equation, so there's no dependence on ##a##. Although ##A## and ##B## may be functions of ##a##, they are just arbitrary integration constants because the equation is still a solution if you add any ##Cx+D## to it.

However, what are you meaning by ##\Theta(x)##, and why are you treating it as a constant when you integrate it? You need to be more explicit there in order to ensure validity.

Here, [itex]\Theta(x)[/itex] is meant to be the Heaviside step function. When I integrate delta from a to x, there are three cases. [itex]x < a, a \leq x<0, a<0 \leq x[/itex]. For x less than 0, I should get a zero, and for x greater than or equal to zero I should get a 1 from the definition as the 0 is inside the interval (with a possible exception of where x=0). I think that simplifies to the Heaviside step function.

Then to find its primitive function I visualize it much in the same way. x below zero should return a zero, and x above zero should be 1 times x. To combine both parts I multiply the heaviside step function by x (i.e. zero below zero and x above zero).

But there must be some error in my reasoning here, as that doesn't correspond to the right answer.

S. Moger said:

Homework Statement

Solve the poisson eq. on R with a source in x=0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't done this kind of thing in years, so I'm a bit rusty, but I think that this is requested:

[itex] \Delta \phi = - \rho \delta(x)[/itex] (Edit: no wait, I need an integral here).

It doesn't seem to be a big deal. I just integrate both sides on R.

[itex] \frac{\partial\phi}{\partial x} = - \rho \int \delta(x) dx + A[/itex]

And again
[itex] \phi = - \rho x + Ax + B[/itex]

However, the key wants me to realize that the answer really is this (they seem to use q instead of rho):
[itex] \phi = - \frac{1}{2} q |x| + Ax + B[/itex]

But why? Am I doing some illegal operation here?

If ##\Delta \phi## means ##d^2 \phi(x)/dx^2##, then you just have the equation for the Green's function of the differential operator ##(d/dx)^2##. If you solve ##f''(x) = \delta(x)##, you can re-scale to get your function ##\phi(x)##.

The equation ##f''(x) = \delta(x)## gives ##f''(x) = 0## for ##x < 0## and for ##x > 0##. Assuming ##f## is continuous at ##x = 0##, we can integrate both sides of the DE from ##-\epsilon## to ##+\epsilon##, then take the limit as ##\epsilon \to 0+##. This gives
[tex] \lim_{\epsilon \to 0+} f'(\epsilon) - f'(-\epsilon) = \lim_{\epsilon \to 0+} \int_{-\epsilon}^{\epsilon} \delta(x) \, dx , [/tex]
or
[tex] f'(0+) - f'(0-) = 1. [/tex]
So, if
[tex] f(x) = \begin{cases}
a_1 x + b_1, & x < 0\\
a_2 x + b_2, & x > 0
\end{cases} [/tex]
we get conditions on ##a_i,b_i## by requiring that ##f## be continuous at ##x=0## and have a jump discontinuity of +1 in ##f'(x)## at ##x = 0##.

Of course, that gives only two conditions on the four parameters, so that leaves lots of room for other conditions, such as boundary conditions at ##\pm \infty## and the like.

Last edited:
Likes S. Moger
S. Moger said:
But there must be some error in my reasoning here, as that doesn't correspond to the right answer.
Actually your answer is fine. Although it is far from obvious, it defines the same function as the book answer.

To see that, just equate the two functions, taking care to label the constants differently, like so:
$$
- \frac{1}{2} q |x| + A'x + B' =
- \rho x \Theta(x) + Ax + B
$$
Can you solve this to find what values of ##A',B', q## (expressed in terms of ##\rho, A, B##) will make the functions identical?

Likes S. Moger
Thanks

I can show it by evaluating the cases x>0 and <0 separately. B' = B and if rho=q , A = A'+ 1/2 q .

But how did the book arrive at that particular formulation. There must have been some other kind of approach to the problem?

S. Moger said:
But how did the book arrive at that particular formulation. There must have been some other kind of approach to the problem?
Not necessarily. It may just be that they wanted to use familiar notation. The absolute value function is introduced in early secondary school mathematics, whereas the Heaviside function is generally not encountered until uni. Indeed, I didn't recognise it when you used it.

Expressing it using the absolute value function is just a neat way to express it very compactly without having to use more advanced notation.

Having said that, I find your Heaviside expression of the function more intuitive, but maybe that's just me.

Likes S. Moger

What is the Poisson equation in R with a source at the origin?

The Poisson equation in R with a source at the origin is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the distribution of a scalar field and the sources that produce it. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model the behavior of electric and gravitational fields.

What are the applications of the Poisson equation in R with a source at the origin?

The Poisson equation in R with a source at the origin has many applications in various fields of science and engineering. It is used to model the electric potential in electrostatics, the gravitational potential in celestial mechanics, and the temperature distribution in heat transfer problems. It is also used in image processing, fluid mechanics, and quantum mechanics.

What is the difference between the Poisson equation and the Laplace equation?

The Poisson equation and the Laplace equation are both second-order partial differential equations used to describe scalar fields. The main difference between them is that the Poisson equation includes a source term, while the Laplace equation does not. This means that the Poisson equation can be used to model situations where there is a source of the scalar field, while the Laplace equation is used for homogeneous fields.

What are the boundary conditions for the Poisson equation in R with a source at the origin?

The boundary conditions for the Poisson equation in R with a source at the origin depend on the specific problem being solved. However, in general, the boundary conditions specify the behavior of the scalar field at the boundaries of the domain. These conditions can be either Dirichlet conditions, where the value of the field is specified at the boundary, or Neumann conditions, where the derivative of the field is specified at the boundary.

How is the Poisson equation in R with a source at the origin solved numerically?

The Poisson equation in R with a source at the origin can be solved numerically using various methods, such as finite difference, finite element, or boundary element methods. These methods involve discretizing the domain and approximating the partial differential equation with a system of algebraic equations. The resulting system can then be solved using standard linear algebra techniques.