1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poisson probability distribution

1. Jul 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle detector is set up to detect type A particles. These are detected as a poisson process with parameter lamda = 0.5 per day.

(i) What is the probability that 3 or more will be detected in any one day?

(ii) What is the distribution of inter-detection times for these particles?

(iii) What is the probability that the inter-detection time for two consecutive particles will be less than 3 days?

(iv) The detector also detects type B particles. These occur with rate lamda = 0.5 when no type A are detected, and rate lamda = 1 when 1 or more type A are detected. If on any one day one or more type B are detected, what is the probability one or more type A are also detected?

3. The attempt at a solution

(i) was easy. I got 0.01439

For (ii) I have absolutely no idea what to do.

For (iv), I used P(at least 1 A | at least 1 B) = (at least 1 A and 1 B)/P(at least 1 B)
    I ended up getting 0.2425.
    Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For part (ii): this is standard probability theory. Do you have a probability textbook or lecture notes? I would be surprised if the answer cannot be found therein. However, if that (i.e., a relevant text or notes) does not cover your situation, you can give us more information about your situation. The real problem is that (ii) is easy, but needs some elementary but lengthy preliminary work (or else just needs cookbook quoting with no understanding attached). Of course, once you have (ii), getting (iii) is easy.

RGV

4. Jul 7, 2011 #3
    I'm using the book by Sheldon M. Ross

The problem is I don;t know what (ii) is actually asking.

5. Jul 7, 2011 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is asking for the distribution of inter-arrival times in a Poisson process.

RGV

6. Jul 7, 2011 #5
    I still have no idea how to calculate this.

7. Jul 7, 2011 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ross has written several Probability textbooks. You don't say which one you are using, but that matters not at all: they are all excellent and all have everything you need. Here is a hint: read the book.

8. Jul 7, 2011 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The "inter-detection time" is the time between two consecutive clicks of the counter.

9. Jul 7, 2011 #8
    It's "Introduction to Probability and Statistics for Engineers and Scientists".

And actually, I have read the book.

10. Jul 7, 2011 #9
    I understand this. It's the time between the "n"th particle and the "n+1"th particle.

But I don't know how to find this distribution.

11. Jul 28, 2011 #10

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi Maybe_Memorie! :smile:

I see this thread is still hanging.
    Do you have the answer by now?

12. Jul 28, 2011 #11
    Hi! :smile:

The inter-detection time is given by the exponential distribution with mean 1/lamda, yes?

13. Jul 28, 2011 #12

I like Serena

Homework Helper

14. Jul 28, 2011 #13
  15. Jul 28, 2011 #14

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Do you have any other hanging threads?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook