Polar and non-polar compounds and their solubility

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 2K views
Rogue
Messages
44
Reaction score
1
TL;DR
Hydrocarbon Solubility in Polar solutions
Hi
Please can anyone explain why Naphthalene is soluble in liquid Ammonia when Naphthalene is Non-polar and Ammonia is Polar?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Good question. I would expect the solubility to be very low. Where does your question come from? Is this related to some chemical reaction or rather spectroscopy?
 
DrDu said:
Good question. I would expect the solubility to be very low. Where does your question come from? Is this related to some chemical reaction or rather spectroscopy?

Hi DrDu, thanks for your response.
The question comes from research into modes of Naphthalene carry-over in gas systems.
I was surprised when I was faced with articles stating Naphthalene to be soluble in Liquid Ammonia.