Polar coordinate to compute the volume

In summary, a polar coordinate system is a method of representing points in a two-dimensional space using a distance from the origin and an angle from a fixed reference direction. It can be used to compute the volume of certain shapes, such as cylinders and cones, by converting the coordinates into rectangular coordinates and using standard volume formulas. In some cases, it can also be used to compute the volume of irregular shapes by converting the shape into a series of smaller, regular shapes and summing their volumes. The formula for computing volume in polar coordinates varies depending on the shape being measured, and using polar coordinates can simplify the calculation for certain shapes and provide a different perspective on the shape being measured. They can also be useful in solving real-world problems, such as
DrunkApple

Homework Statement

Use polar coordinates to compute the volume of the region defined by
4 - [itex]x^{2}[/itex] - [itex]y^{2}[/itex] ≤ z ≤ 10 - 4[itex]x^{2}[/itex] - 4[itex]y^{2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got z = 2 so set up the equation

V = [itex]f^{2pi}_{0}[/itex][itex]f^{5/2}_{2}[/itex][itex]f^{0}_{2}[/itex]r*dzdrdθ

is the domain correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
DrunkApple said:

Homework Statement

Use polar coordinates to compute the volume of the region defined by
4 - [itex]x^{2}[/itex] - [itex]y^{2}[/itex] ≤ z ≤ 10 - 4[itex]x^{2}[/itex] - 4[itex]y^{2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got z = 2 so set up the equation

V = [itex]f^{2pi}_{0}[/itex][itex]f^{5/2}_{2}[/itex][itex]f^{0}_{2}[/itex]r*dzdrdθ

is the domain correct?
Those are cylindrical coordinates, not polar. (If you were to do the problem in cylindrical coords, your limits of integration for z would be incorrect.)

The two surfaces intersect at z=2, but that's not particularly important. At what value of r do they intersect?

setting 4 - [itex]x^{2}[/itex] - [itex]y^{2}[/itex] and 10 - 4[itex]x^{2}[/itex] - 4[itex]y^{2}[/itex] to equal, r = ±√2, but since r must be greater than 0, it's r = √2

The volume element is the area element, r dr dθ, times the height, which you get from zupper - zlower .

z goes from 4 - r2 to 10 - 4r2 .

thank you I got it.
But how do I know if it's cylindrical?

How do you know if what is cylindrical? If you mean the coordinate system, "cylindrical coordinates" are just polar coordinates for the xy-plane with the z coordinate.

I mean just by looking at the equation
Is it because it contains z?

DrunkApple said:
thank you I got it.
But how do I know if it's cylindrical?
If you're asking how did I know you were using cylindrical coordinates rather than polar; cylindrical coordinates are in 3 dimensions and use r, θ, and z. Polar coordinates are 2 dimensional using r and θ.

What is a polar coordinate system?

A polar coordinate system is a method of representing points in a two-dimensional space using a distance from the origin and an angle from a fixed reference direction.

How do polar coordinates relate to computing volume?

Polar coordinates can be used to compute the volume of certain shapes, such as cylinders and cones, by converting the coordinates into rectangular coordinates and using standard volume formulas.

Can polar coordinates be used to compute the volume of irregular shapes?

In some cases, polar coordinates can be used to compute the volume of irregular shapes by converting the shape into a series of smaller, regular shapes and summing their volumes.

What is the formula for computing volume in polar coordinates?

The formula for computing volume in polar coordinates varies depending on the shape being measured. For example, the formula for a cylinder is V = πr^2h, where r is the radius and h is the height.

What are the advantages of using polar coordinates to compute volume?

Polar coordinates can simplify the calculation of volume for certain shapes, as well as provide a different perspective on the shape being measured. They can also be useful in solving real-world problems, such as calculating the volume of a cylindrical tank or cone-shaped container.