1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar Coordinate Tracking problem

1. Sep 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You're tracking a plane from the ground. The plane is at a constant height h from the ground, at a distance r from you at the illustrated instant, and at an inclination theta. The plane's speed is constant at 1200km/hr. Find the rate at which your tracking dish must rotate if r=3km and theta=30degrees. Does the acceleration of gravity make any contribution to your answer?

CCunj.png

The attempt at a solution

The correct answer is 0.05 rad/s.

But this is what I got:

lZEvz.jpg

Sorry for the gigantic image!

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Check your units.

4. Sep 4, 2011 #3
    461.88 rad/hr = 0.1283 rad/s

Thanks for pointing that out. Still wrong though :/

5. Sep 5, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You resolved i into er and eθ incorrectly. (Try it with θ=90 degrees, for example.) Also, the r in your expression for V isn't equal to 3 km.

6. Sep 5, 2011 #5
    Why isn't it 3km?

7. Sep 5, 2011 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I guess it depends on how you interpret the phrase "distance from you." But if you use r=3000 m, the answer is 0.056 rad/s, which rounds to 0.06 rad/s. If you use 3000 km as the horizontal distance from you, you get 0.048 rad/s, which rounds to the answer you cited.

8. Sep 5, 2011 #7
    Thank you very much. I got 0.06.

What is the meaning of the second part of the question ("Does the acceleration of gravity make any contribution")?

Thanks again.

9. Sep 5, 2011 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Would you get a different answer if, say, you were on Mars, where the acceleration of gravity is different?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook