Polar coordinates and mechanics question.

In summary: I think there might be something wrong with my notes, because he wrote it out very clearly in black and white.
In_Development
Alright, the problem here is that I seem unable to grasp an example given in class. I am not sure if this is due to not copying it down correctly, or if there's something I am just missing. Either way, I know I am not the only one who has had a bit of trouble with this. I'm hoping that someone with a greater knowledge of physics can spot what is going on.

Homework Statement

Bead threaded on a smooth rod (i.e. no friction) which rotates with constant angular velocity [tex]\omega[/tex] about one end. Investigate the motion.

Where r is a radial vector,

[tex]\dot{r}[/tex]=0, [tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex]=[tex]\omega[/tex], and r=r[tex]_{0}[/tex] at t=0

The dot above the letters and symbols, as far as I am aware, just denotes the first derivative (in case this isn't a standard notation of some sort). Also, the subscript doesn't seem to be working in the preview, so in case it does not turn out right, that is meant to be a subcript zero, not r^0. It's just denoting a particular distance up the rod that the bead is.

Homework Equations

Now this is the working out that I copied.

Newtons second law:
[tex]\ddot{r}[/tex] -r[tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex]^2 = 0.

(I realize Newton's second law should include a multiplication by mass, but I'm just writing the information I have). r dot dot is the second derivative I believe.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\theta[/tex] = [tex]\omega[/tex]t

[tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex] = [tex]\omega[/tex] ; [tex]\ddot{r}[/tex] = [tex]\omega[/tex]*r[tex]^{2}[/tex]

Solutions:
e^wt and e^-wt

Oh, the omega is not meant to be superscript throughout the question by the way, I don't know why it is; and the w in the 'solution' represents an omega. So it is e to the power of omega*time.

All I need to know is what on Earth the solutions are for and how did they materialise?

EDIT: I really made a mess of this whole latex thing.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let ω=omega θ=theta, r' = dr/dt, r'' = d^2r/dt^2 (second derivative) Let R be the vector , and r be the length.
I'm not sure how you got to Newton's second law but here's how my professor proved it:
R can be broken down into x and y components as such:
R = rcosθ*i + rsinθ*j (i,j, are unit vectors along x and y)

Let's take the derivative twice (Keep in mind that this is with respect to t)
R' = -rsinθ*θ'*i + rcosθ*θ*'j
R'' = -rcosθ*θ'^2*i - rsinθ*θ'^2*j

Hey! That looks like our original R almost:
R'' = -Rθ''
R'' + Rθ'^2 = 0 <---matches your notes except for the sign..
Keep in mind that θ' = ω so:
R'' + R(ω^2) = 0

I haven't taken differential equations and I'm guessing you haven't either. But in general if you want to solve for R but you know that its second derivative is itself times a constant, then there are only a few functions that do that: sine, cosine, and e^x. You "guess" that the solution is e^ωt. If you take the derivative twice, indeed, it is itself times a constant (ω^2).

The solutions are for R. Sorry I don't know why I had issues with the signs, but they should be right otherwise.

Anadyne said:
Let ω=omega θ=theta, r' = dr/dt, r'' = d^2r/dt^2 (second derivative) Let R be the vector , and r be the length.
I'm not sure how you got to Newton's second law but here's how my professor proved it:
R can be broken down into x and y components as such:
R = rcosθ*i + rsinθ*j (i,j, are unit vectors along x and y)

Let's take the derivative twice (Keep in mind that this is with respect to t)
R' = -rsinθ*θ'*i + rcosθ*θ*'j
R'' = -rcosθ*θ'^2*i - rsinθ*θ'^2*j

Hey! That looks like our original R almost:
R'' = -Rθ''
R'' + Rθ'^2 = 0 <---matches your notes except for the sign..
Keep in mind that θ' = ω so:
R'' + R(ω^2) = 0

I haven't taken differential equations and I'm guessing you haven't either. But in general if you want to solve for R but you know that its second derivative is itself times a constant, then there are only a few functions that do that: sine, cosine, and e^x. You "guess" that the solution is e^ωt. If you take the derivative twice, indeed, it is itself times a constant (ω^2).

The solutions are for R. Sorry I don't know why I had issues with the signs, but they should be right otherwise.

Ah thanks for the help, because my professor gave no explanation whatsoever on how he got from one step to the other.

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a system of coordinates used to locate a point in a two-dimensional space. They use a distance from the origin (known as the radial coordinate) and an angle from a fixed reference axis (known as the angular coordinate) to describe the position of a point.

2. How are polar coordinates different from Cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates use a distance and angle to locate a point, while Cartesian coordinates use x and y coordinates. In polar coordinates, the distance from the origin is the radial coordinate and the angle from the reference axis is the angular coordinate. In Cartesian coordinates, the x coordinate represents the horizontal distance and the y coordinate represents the vertical distance.

3. How are polar coordinates used in mechanics?

Polar coordinates are used in mechanics to describe the motion or position of an object in a circular or rotational motion. They are particularly useful for solving problems involving circular motion, such as the motion of planets or satellites.

4. What is the equation for converting polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?

The equation for converting polar coordinates (r, θ) to Cartesian coordinates (x, y) is x = r cosθ and y = r sinθ. This means that the x coordinate is equal to the radial coordinate multiplied by the cosine of the angular coordinate, and the y coordinate is equal to the radial coordinate multiplied by the sine of the angular coordinate.

5. How do you graph polar coordinates?

To graph polar coordinates, plot the distance from the origin (radial coordinate) on the y-axis and the angle from the reference axis (angular coordinate) on the x-axis. Then, draw a line from the origin to the point described by the coordinates. Repeat for each set of coordinates to create a polar graph.