1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar Coordinates Problem

1. Nov 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"Consider the graph of [itex]r = e^{\theta}[/itex] in polar coordinates. Then consider the graph of [itex](\theta \cos{\theta}, \theta \sin{\theta})[/itex] where [itex]\theta \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] on the Cartesian plane (x - y axis). How are the two graphs related? What relationship (if any) can we define between [itex]e^{\theta}[/itex] and the trigonometric functions?

3. The attempt at a solution

What I considered was [itex]r^2 = x^2 + y^2[/itex] where [itex]x = \theta \cos{\theta}[/itex] and y = [itex]\theta \sin{\theta}[/itex]. Plugging this all in I get:

[tex] e^{2\theta} = (\theta)^2 ((\cos{\theta})^2 + (\sin{\theta})^2) [/tex]

which reduces to:

[tex] e^{2 \theta} = (\theta)^2 [/tex]

taking the ln of both sides, noting that [itex]\theta \ne 0[/itex]:

[tex] 2 \theta = 2 ln \theta [/tex]

[tex] \theta = ln \theta [/tex]

So as it stands now, the above equation has no real solutions. So I thought maybe putting each side as a power of e would be the relation between the two graphs.

[tex] e^{\theta} = e^{ln \theta} [/tex]

[tex] e^{\theta} = {\theta} [/tex]

which is kind of a circluar argument because I just rearranged the equation. They mention this has something to do with trigonometric functions, I'm not seeing the connection. I would apprectiate some help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2011 #2
    What you have done is define two equations, [tex]r^2 = \theta^2[/tex] and [tex]r = e^\theta[/tex]and then solve them simultaneously. The value of θ satisfying [tex]e^\theta = \theta[/tex]is simply where the two graphs intersect.

4. Nov 17, 2011 #3
    Yes, I realize this, but there are no real solutions to that equation. And also it doesn't tell me much about the relation between the two functions.

5. Nov 17, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have no idea about the rest of the problem, but I can tell you one thing. The curves do intersect. Just plot them. Show there is a solution to exp(t)=t+2*pi. You can find the root numerically if you want. Call it c. Now put c into the exponential and c+2*pi into the other curve. You'll get the same x,y coordinates. There are an infinite number of other similar solutions.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  6. Nov 17, 2011 #5
    Oops, I omitted the negative sign! [tex]e^\theta = \theta[/tex] has no real roots, but [tex]e^\theta = -\theta[/tex] does!

7. Nov 17, 2011 #6
    Ah right you are, I thought that seemed weird that there were real intersection points but no solution. One thought i had was that if you take successive derivatives of [itex]r = e^{\theta}[/itex] you will get a tighter and tigher spiral. Eventually you should get the parametric function: [itex] (\theta \cos{\theta}, \theta \sin{\theta})[/itex]. Any thoughts?

8. Nov 17, 2011 #7
  9. Nov 17, 2011 #8
    I've seen that before, its very nice. But does it have an application here?

10. Nov 17, 2011 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Derivatives with respect to what? That doesn't sound right. I still don't quite get the point of this problem, I share that with you.

11. Nov 18, 2011 #10
    Derivatives with respect to [itex]\theta[/itex]. I'm not sure, at this point i'm just grasping at answers. Any other thoughts?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook