Converting Radians to Surds: A Helpful Table for Complex Number Calculations?

In summary, the polar form of a complex number is a representation of its magnitude and angle, written as r(cosθ + isinθ). To convert from rectangular to polar form, you can use the formulas r = √(a² + b²) and θ = arctan(b/a). The polar and rectangular forms are related by the formula a + bi = r(cosθ + isinθ). To multiply and divide complex numbers in polar form, you can simply multiply or divide the magnitudes and add or subtract the angles. Some applications of the polar form include electrical engineering, signal processing, and physics. It is also useful in solving differential equations, expressing periodic functions, and representing motion in polar coordinates.
cmcc3119
Hi There,

Can someone please tell me where I can find a table/ data that converts radians to surds. I don't know what to call it but, for instance to tan^-1(-1) = -Pi/4 and, cos(-pi/6) = root3/2 ?

Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks so much for that :)

What is the polar form of a complex number?

The polar form of a complex number is a way to represent a complex number in terms of its magnitude and angle. It is written in the form r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the magnitude and θ is the angle in radians.

How do you convert a complex number from rectangular form to polar form?

To convert a complex number from rectangular form to polar form, you can use the following formula: r = √(a² + b²) for the magnitude and θ = arctan(b/a) for the angle. Simply plug in the values of a and b from the rectangular form into the formula to get the polar form.

What is the relationship between the polar form and the rectangular form of a complex number?

The polar form and the rectangular form of a complex number are two different ways of representing the same number. The rectangular form uses the real and imaginary components, while the polar form uses the magnitude and angle. They are related by the formula a + bi = r(cosθ + isinθ).

How do you multiply and divide complex numbers in polar form?

To multiply complex numbers in polar form, you can simply multiply the magnitudes and add the angles. For division, you divide the magnitudes and subtract the angles. This can be done using the polar form formula: (r1*cosθ1 + i*sinθ1)*(r2*cosθ2 + i*sinθ2) = (r1*r2)*(cos(θ1+θ2) + i*sin(θ1+θ2))

What are some applications of the polar form of complex numbers?

The polar form of complex numbers is useful in many areas of mathematics and science, including electrical engineering, signal processing, and physics. It is also used in solving differential equations, expressing periodic functions, and representing the motion of particles in polar coordinates.