Is r,theta Equivalent to cos(theta)+isin(theta) in Complex Numbers?

In summary, the conversation is about a disagreement between the speaker and their teacher over a test grade. The speaker put a complex number in the form of R, theta, but the teacher believes it should be in the form of costheta+isentheta. The speaker is trying to find evidence in a book to prove their belief that r, theta=costheta+isentheta, but another user pointed out that the correct identity is r⋅eiθ = r⋅(cos(θ)+i sin(θ)). The teacher has asked for evidence in a book and the speaker believes they are right.
Mrencko

Homework Statement

well this is not exactly a homework, i had an argument whith my teacher about my grade in a test, because i put a complex number in the form of R,theta and she claims that the form was costheta+isentheta, and i know that but i need to prove in a book that r,theta=costheta+isentheta[/B]2. The attempt at a solution
she ditnt request, a solution or demostration just if someone knows a book about the fact, please help me, the matter is from a very good grade to a failure grade so this is important, thank you

i truly believe i am right but the teacher want to screw me really bad and asked for evidence in a book

Physics news on Phys.org
The correct equality would be r⋅e = r⋅(cos(θ)+i sin(θ)).
I'm not sure exactly what you were asked for on the test.

Mrencko said:

Homework Statement

well this is not exactly a homework, i had an argument whith my teacher about my grade in a test, because i put a complex number in the form of R,theta and she claims that the form was costheta+isentheta, and i know that but i need to prove in a book that r,theta=costheta+isentheta[/B]

i truly believe i am right but the teacher want to screw me really bad and asked for evidence in a book
r,theta=costheta+isentheta makes no sense. As @FactChecker already said, the correct identity is ##re^{i\theta} = r(\cos(\theta) + i\sin(\theta))##

Related to Is r,theta Equivalent to cos(theta)+isin(theta) in Complex Numbers?

1. What is the polar form of a complex number?

The polar form of a complex number is a way of representing a complex number in terms of its distance from the origin (known as the modulus) and its angle from the positive real axis (known as the argument). It is written as r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the modulus and θ is the argument.

2. How is the polar form different from the rectangular form of a complex number?

The rectangular form of a complex number is written as a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. The polar form, on the other hand, uses the modulus and argument to represent the number. While the rectangular form is in the form of a point on a Cartesian plane, the polar form is in the form of a point on a polar coordinate plane.

3. How do you convert a complex number from polar form to rectangular form?

To convert a complex number from polar form to rectangular form, you can use the formula a + bi = r(cosθ + isinθ), where a = rcosθ and b = rsinθ. This involves using the trigonometric functions cosine and sine to find the real and imaginary components of the number.

4. What is the significance of the argument in the polar form of a complex number?

The argument in the polar form of a complex number represents the angle that the number makes with the positive real axis. This angle can help determine the direction in which the number is pointing and can be used to find other properties of the number, such as its conjugate or inverse.

5. How is the polar form of a complex number used in mathematics and science?

The polar form of a complex number is often used in mathematics and science to simplify complex calculations and to represent numbers with both magnitude and direction. It is particularly useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and electronics, where complex numbers are commonly used to represent quantities such as voltage, current, and impedance.