1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polarity and distribution coefficient

1. Oct 1, 2006 #1
    I need to determine polarity of 3 compounds in order to intuit the relationship between their distribution coefficients in Ch2Cl2 and H20.

The three compounds are benzoic acid (with a carboxyl group on a benzene ring), succinic acid (a straight chain with 2 terminal carboxyl groups), and sodium benzoate (and ionic carboxyl group on a bezene ring). I think the order is sodium benzoate (ionic) then succinic acid (no benzene ring) then benzoic acid in decreasing polarity. But I'm not certain. Can anyone comment?

Thanks~

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2006 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does the succinic acid have an overall dipole moment?

4. Oct 1, 2006 #3
    dipole moment

there is no overall diploe moment mentioned.
    thanks for responding.

5. Oct 1, 2006 #4
    no dipole moment either. whoops.

6. Oct 1, 2006 #5

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Would you say that benzoic acid has an overall polarity, a dipole moment?

7. Oct 1, 2006 #6
    ok. yes, all three have a dipole moment. benzoic acid's is the smallest as it has only one OH group to H-bond with. Succinic acid has 2 OH groups to H-bond with, and the sodium benzoate can form ionic bonds, trumping the other two.

8. Oct 1, 2006 #7

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you can correlate such matters with the solubility data which can be found on http://www.chemfinder.com, it took me a while to realize that all of this was pertinent to the topic of liquid-liquid extraction, I apologize for being so irrelevant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?