Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Polarity and distribution coefficient

1. Oct 1, 2006 #1
    I need to determine polarity of 3 compounds in order to intuit the relationship between their distribution coefficients in Ch2Cl2 and H20.

The three compounds are benzoic acid (with a carboxyl group on a benzene ring), succinic acid (a straight chain with 2 terminal carboxyl groups), and sodium benzoate (and ionic carboxyl group on a bezene ring). I think the order is sodium benzoate (ionic) then succinic acid (no benzene ring) then benzoic acid in decreasing polarity. But I'm not certain. Can anyone comment?

Thanks~

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2006 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does the succinic acid have an overall dipole moment?

4. Oct 1, 2006 #3
    dipole moment

there is no overall diploe moment mentioned.
    thanks for responding.

5. Oct 1, 2006 #4
    no dipole moment either. whoops.

6. Oct 1, 2006 #5

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Would you say that benzoic acid has an overall polarity, a dipole moment?

7. Oct 1, 2006 #6
    ok. yes, all three have a dipole moment. benzoic acid's is the smallest as it has only one OH group to H-bond with. Succinic acid has 2 OH groups to H-bond with, and the sodium benzoate can form ionic bonds, trumping the other two.

8. Oct 1, 2006 #7

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you can correlate such matters with the solubility data which can be found on http://www.chemfinder.com, it took me a while to realize that all of this was pertinent to the topic of liquid-liquid extraction, I apologize for being so irrelevant.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook