1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Organic Chem [Napthalene and benzoic acid]

1. Nov 19, 2009 #1
    Hi guys, i've got a question which i couldn't solve.

Both napthalene (two benzene ring join together) and benzoic acid are aromatic compounds which exist as white solids.

Based on their physical ahd chemical properties, describe how you could separate the components of a mixture of these two compounds without using any organic solvent.

My only guess is to use water, since benzoic acid has the carboxylic group, but again, benzoic acid is not so soluble in water right? Any other options i could use?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Benzoic ACID is not souble in water. What substances are soluble? Like - why NaCl is soluble?

--

4. Nov 19, 2009 #3
    NaCl is soluble because it is ionic. oh oh, can i add NaOH ? So that the benzoic dissolve in it :) ?

5. Nov 19, 2009 #4

Borek

That's what I would do :smile:

--

6. Nov 19, 2009 #5
    Actually, this may not quite be true. Depending on what you actually want to do, I think you can recrystallise benzoic acid from water.

7. Nov 19, 2009 #6

Borek

Yes, it was a little bit of exagerration on my side. Let's say weakly soluble in the cold water.

--
    methods

8. Nov 19, 2009 #7
    Thanks :) but then again, it is a 7 marks question. So by adding NaOH and filter and yield the acid back by adding acid. This would really give me the 7 marks would it @_@ ?

9. Nov 20, 2009 #8

Borek

Question asks for using chemical properties, so I think yes. But I am known to be occasionally wrong :wink:

--

10. Nov 20, 2009 #9
    Hehe thanks borek~

11. Nov 20, 2009 #10

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The solubility of benzoic acid in water is:

Temp, solubility (g/L)
    0oC, 1.7
    10oC, 2.1
    20oC, 2.9
    25oC, 3.4
    30oC, 4.2
    40oC, 6.0
    50oC, 9.5
    60oC, 12.0
    70oC, 17.7
    80oC, 27.5
    90oC, 45.5
    95oC, 68.0

Naphthalene is entirely insoluble in water, so hot filtration could be used but since naphthalene melts at 80oC, you would have to keep it way below that temperature since it is likely to form a lower melting eutectic with benzoic acid. It is likely you wouldn't be able to use temperatures of greater than 50oC to 60oC. You would have to use a LOT of warm water!

I think you will get your marks if you follow Borek's advice...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook