Organic Chem [Napthalene and benzoic acid]

In summary: I'm not sure if it is really worth it :)In summary, the solubility of benzoic acid in water is dependent on temperature. Benzoic acid is insoluble in water at 0oC, but becomes soluble at temperatures between 10oC and 60oC.
crays
Hi guys, I've got a question which i couldn't solve.

Both napthalene (two benzene ring join together) and benzoic acid are aromatic compounds which exist as white solids.

Based on their physical ahd chemical properties, describe how you could separate the components of a mixture of these two compounds without using any organic solvent.

My only guess is to use water, since benzoic acid has the carboxylic group, but again, benzoic acid is not so soluble in water right? Any other options i could use?

Physics news on Phys.org
Benzoic ACID is not souble in water. What substances are soluble? Like - why NaCl is soluble?

--

NaCl is soluble because it is ionic. oh oh, can i add NaOH ? So that the benzoic dissolve in it :) ?

That's what I would do :smile:

--

Borek said:
Benzoic ACID is not souble in water.

Actually, this may not quite be true. Depending on what you actually want to do, I think you can recrystallise benzoic acid from water.

Yes, it was a little bit of exagerration on my side. Let's say weakly soluble in the cold water.

--
methods

Thanks :) but then again, it is a 7 marks question. So by adding NaOH and filter and yield the acid back by adding acid. This would really give me the 7 marks would it @_@ ?

Question asks for using chemical properties, so I think yes. But I am known to be occasionally wrong :wink:

--

Hehe thanks borek~

The solubility of benzoic acid in water is:

Temp, solubility (g/L)
0oC, 1.7
10oC, 2.1
20oC, 2.9
25oC, 3.4
30oC, 4.2
40oC, 6.0
50oC, 9.5
60oC, 12.0
70oC, 17.7
80oC, 27.5
90oC, 45.5
95oC, 68.0

Naphthalene is entirely insoluble in water, so hot filtration could be used but since naphthalene melts at 80oC, you would have to keep it way below that temperature since it is likely to form a lower melting eutectic with benzoic acid. It is likely you wouldn't be able to use temperatures of greater than 50oC to 60oC. You would have to use a LOT of warm water!

I think you will get your marks if you follow Borek's advice...

What is organic chemistry?

Organic chemistry is the study of carbon-containing compounds and their properties, reactions, and applications in various fields such as medicine, materials science, and agriculture.

What is naphthalene?

Naphthalene is a white, crystalline solid that is commonly used as a moth repellent. It is also known as "mothballs" and has a distinct, pungent odor. In organic chemistry, naphthalene is considered an aromatic hydrocarbon with the molecular formula C10H8.

What are the uses of naphthalene?

Naphthalene is primarily used as a moth repellent, but it also has other applications. It is used as a precursor for the production of phthalic anhydride, which is used in the production of plastics. Naphthalene is also used in the production of dyes, resins, and synthetic fragrances.

What is benzoic acid?

Benzoic acid is a white, crystalline solid that is commonly used as a food preservative. It has a slightly sweet, astringent taste and is often added to acidic foods such as soft drinks, pickles, and fruit juices. In organic chemistry, benzoic acid is considered an aromatic carboxylic acid with the molecular formula C7H6O2.

What are the reactions of benzoic acid?

Benzoic acid can undergo various reactions, including acid-base reactions, esterification, and decarboxylation. It can also react with other compounds, such as alcohols, amines, and metals, to form different products. Some common reactions of benzoic acid include the formation of benzoate salts, esters, and benzoyl derivatives.