Polarization and decreasing intensity of light to 10%

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
aChordate
Messages
76
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



In order to decrease the intensity of a beam of unpolarized light to 10% of its original
intensity using two polarizers, what is the required value of θ, the angle between the
transmission axes of the two polarizers?


Homework Equations



tanθB=n2/n1


The Attempt at a Solution



tanθB=n2/n1

I'm not sure how to do this. I read the section on polarization and there are no examples in the book.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
aChordate said:

Homework Statement



In order to decrease the intensity of a beam of unpolarized light to 10% of its original
intensity using two polarizers, what is the required value of θ, the angle between the
transmission axes of the two polarizers?


Homework Equations



tanθB=n2/n1


The Attempt at a Solution



tanθB=n2/n1

I'm not sure how to do this. I read the section on polarization and there are no examples in the book.

You seem to have mixed up Brewster's law with the Law of Malus. Check you textbook about the Law of Malus.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
So my equation would change to S=So=cos2θ

Would it be:

1/10*I=1/2*I*cos2θ ?


1/5=cos2θ

θ=63.4°

?
 
aChordate said:
So my equation would change to S=So=cos2θ

Would it be:

1/10*I=1/2*I*cos2θ ?


1/5=cos2θ

θ=63.4°

?

Looks good to me.