1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polarization of clear plastic - a puzzle

Tags:
  1. Jan 27, 2015 #1
    I finished my online E&M class today, and the prof told us to experiment with polarizers. While doing that, I found this: I put a piece of plastic between two polarizers, and found that at a certain angle between the two polarizers, a portion - though not all - of the plastic darkened. So I assumed that portion of the plastic sheet was a polarizer, for whatever reason. And I also assumed that a single polarizer, when used with this piece of plastic, would show darkening. But when I used a single polarizer, nothing happened, no matter how I rotated the polarizer. So that means the plastic actually is not a polarizer, right? So what was going on when it was between the two polarizers? This piece of plastic happens to be semi-transparent red gift wrap, if that helps.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2015 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

4. Jan 28, 2015 #3
    Thanks Andy. So it sounds like I need to read up on wave retarders. I'll take a look at the plastic again later today.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook