Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polarization of photon-Peskin and Schroeder

1. Apr 19, 2013 #1
    Hi, I am currently studying quantum field theory with worldwidely used text written by Peskin and Schroeder. On page 165 of that text it says, " the amplitude vanishes unless the final photon is right-handed." But I cannot figure out how it works. With ε = (0,1,i,0), I get same expression located right after 5.100, which result in 0 when it applies to [itex] u_R = \pmatrix{ 0 \cr 1} [/itex]. I think there must be something related to photon polarization and I am missing. Could you find where I got wrong? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2013 #2
    I'm not sure if this is the issue you're having since I don't have my book in front of me, but I know they use a different convention than most on the Jones vectors. Usually, right polarized is (0,1,-i,0). Maybe this would make a difference?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jones_vector#Jones_vectors

4. Apr 19, 2013 #3
    I still cannot figure out the connection between Jones vectors and my problem. Anyway thanks a lot :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook