Pole-Zero Analysis: Stable Network w/ e-3t Decay, K2 > 0, |K1| < 1/2, K2 > 3K1

• Thread starter magnifik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the network with the equation s2 + (3+6K1)s + 6K2 = 0 must meet the criteria K2 > 0, |K1| < 1/2, and K2 > 3K1 in order to be stable and not decay faster than e-3t. The solution to the quadratic formula for s is [- (3+6K1) + √((3+6K1)2 - 4(6K2))] / 2. The requirement for no real pole existing < -3 comes from the need for the output to drop no faster than exp(-3t). The quantity inside the square root sign may be either positive or negative,
magnifik
a network has the equation s2 + (3+6K1)s + 6K2 = 0
it has to be stable and cannot decay faster than e-3t

show that the network must meet the following criteria:
K2 > 0
|K1| < 1/2
K2 > 3K1

My attempt at the solution:
solving the quadratic formula for s, i get
[-(3+6K1)2 + √(3+6K1)2 - 4(6K2)] / 2

i believe the first two are true because the coefficients cannot be < 0
i also believe that ω should be less than 3. i am having trouble with the last condition, K2 > 3K1. where does this come from??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint #1: Better check your solution to the quadrature equation first.

Hint #2: you will get either a complex-conjugate pole pair or two real poles. You need to examine the pole locations for both cases for stability and ensure that no real pole exists < -3.

Hint # 3: k2 > 0 always required.
k1 > -1/2 is imposed by stability requirement
k1 < +1/2 is imposed by real pole location > -3
k2 > 3k1 is imposed by real pole location > -3.

So I think you can see that your initial observations need to be re-examined.
This is not an easy exercise!

rude man said:
Hint #1: Better check your solution to the quadrature equation first.

Hint #2: you will get either a complex-conjugate pole pair or two real poles. You need to examine the pole locations for both cases for stability and ensure that no real pole exists < -3.

Hint # 3: k2 > 0 always required.
k1 > -1/2 is imposed by stability requirement
k1 < +1/2 is imposed by real pole location > -3
k2 > 3k1 is imposed by real pole location > -3.

So I think you can see that your initial observations need to be re-examined.
This is not an easy exercise!

wow, that's a lot more involved than i thought
the solution to the quad should be [-(3+6K1) + √((3+6K1)2 - 4(6K2))] / 2

i'm a little confused by "ensure that no real pole exists < -3"
i thought that was determined by the imaginary part (in the square root) and that it would be positive 3?

magnifik said:
i'm a little confused by "ensure that no real pole exists < -3"
i thought that was determined by the imaginary part (in the square root) and that it would be positive 3?

No. That requirement stems from the need for the output to drop no faster than exp(-3t).

The quantity inside the square root sign may be either + or -. If it's negative you get a complex-conjugate pole pair, so only one real part, which is the "b" in your quadratic solution (did you fix it yet?). If the quantity inside the square root sign positive you get two real poles (poles on the real axis).

It's possible that the problem intended for the solution to be limited to the two-real-pole case. That's because their statement "no faster than exp(-3t)" might preclude an oscillatory solution, which you get with a complex-conjugate pole pair. It's a question of semantics, and you should raise that issue with your TA or whoever. I interpreted the requirement as meaning the envelope of the output is restricted to no faster than exp(-3t). If you allow a complex-conjugate solution your output will look like exp(-at)*sin(wt) with a being the real part of the c/c pole pair and +/-w the imaginary parts.

magnifik said:
wow, that's a lot more involved than i thought
the solution to the quad should be [-(3+6K1) + √((3+6K1)2 - 4(6K2))] / 2

Well, you're right, but you have to come up with the restrictions on k1 and k2 as imposed by the sadist who gave you the problem. :-)

rude man said:
No. That requirement stems from the need for the output to drop no faster than exp(-3t).

The quantity inside the square root sign may be either + or -. If it's negative you get a complex-conjugate pole pair, so only one real part, which is the "b" in your quadratic solution (did you fix it yet?). If the quantity inside the square root sign positive you get two real poles (poles on the real axis).

It's possible that the problem intended for the solution to be limited to the two-real-pole case. That's because their statement "no faster than exp(-3t)" might preclude an oscillatory solution, which you get with a complex-conjugate pole pair. It's a question of semantics, and you should raise that issue with your TA or whoever. I interpreted the requirement as meaning the envelope of the output is restricted to no faster than exp(-3t). If you allow a complex-conjugate solution your output will look like exp(-at)*sin(wt) with a being the real part of the c/c pole pair and +/-w the imaginary parts.

Actually, looking back on the solution, I see that all the conditions placed on the two-real-pole solution (positive number inside the square root sign) also apply to the cc pair. So just limit yourself to + values inside the square root sign & you'll get it all.

FAQ: Pole-Zero Analysis: Stable Network w/ e-3t Decay, K2 > 0, |K1| < 1/2, K2 > 3K1

1. What is a Pole-Zero Analysis?

A Pole-Zero Analysis is a mathematical technique used in electrical engineering to analyze the stability of a network or circuit. It involves determining the location of poles and zeros in the transfer function of the network and using that information to assess its stability.

2. What does it mean for a network to have e-3t decay?

The term e-3t decay refers to the exponential decay of signals in a network. This means that the magnitude of the signal decreases by a factor of e (approximately 2.718) every time t increases by 1. This type of decay is typically seen in stable networks.

3. How do you determine if a network is stable using Pole-Zero Analysis?

To determine stability using Pole-Zero Analysis, you need to first find the poles and zeros of the network's transfer function. Then, you can use the location of these poles and zeros to determine if the network is stable. In the case of a stable network with e-3t decay and K2 > 0, |K1| < 1/2, K2 > 3K1, the poles will all be located in the left half of the complex plane, indicating stability.

4. What do the values of K1 and K2 represent in Pole-Zero Analysis?

K1 and K2 are known as the gain coefficients in Pole-Zero Analysis. They represent the relative strengths of the feedback and feedforward paths in the network. In the case of a stable network with e-3t decay and K2 > 0, |K1| < 1/2, K2 > 3K1, these values must meet certain conditions in order for the network to be stable.

5. How is Pole-Zero Analysis used in real-world applications?

Pole-Zero Analysis is commonly used in the design and analysis of electronic circuits and systems. It can help engineers determine the stability of a network and make adjustments to improve its performance. This technique is also used in control systems to ensure the stability of feedback loops and prevent oscillations or instability.