POLL - geographic location of our members

In summary, the poll is to determine the global localization of all our members. The poll is global in that it includes members from all over the world. The poll is local in that it evaluates the localization of members based on their social and cultural boundaries. Male, from Canada, is one of the participants in the poll. Location: Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain.

Your Geographic Location

• North America

Votes: 203 60.4%
  • Latin America

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Europe

Votes: 79 23.5%
  • Islamic world (ie N. Africa and Middle East)

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • Africa (excl above)

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Former Soviet Union

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • East Asia (eg China/ Japan)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • South Asia (eg India)

Votes: 11 3.3%
  • South East Asia (eg Malesia/ Indonesia)

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Australia and Oceania

Votes: 16 4.8%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Monique
Zantra, goededag! Good that you see the humor in it. Pelastration, wat een moeilijke naam, maar leuk dat jij er ook bij bent!

Ummm.. you I just finally figured out after translating that the dutch had nothing to do with me.. lol

And of course I see the humor in it. Parson's seriousness of the whole thing makes it that much funnier:wink:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are people here from Romania, Finland, Belgium, UK, Ireland, Spain, Sweden, Austria, and the Netherland. And how dare I, they are ALL clumped together in Europe! I have some guts, don't I? :)

yes Romania rulz
and also male...

So talk about not reading your own references, from your site link, Obviously NOT the CIA one you keep talking about,
but this page, from your link http://www.photius.com/wfb1999/canada/canada_geography.html
Tells us this;
From Moniques linked site
Area—comparative: slightly larger than the US
Sooo your stating;
So regarding your: "I think you can find that Canada is a little bit bigger than all of the EU, and bigger, in land mass, then the US" We have established the US and Canada have the same size.. the US could even be bigger since not all areas were included.
IS false according to YOUR references.

Nice move.

Even from your CIA website, the comparitive area is "somewhat larger"

Aside from that, simplicity, Canadians are a minority in North America, ~30 million Canadians, and about 35 Million CALIFORNIANS alone, never mind the rest of the US. That that means nothing to you, well good for you, as for insulting(?) me in another language, good for your too, you reveal yourself for what you truly are.

And Yes, I noticed that you backtracked on the US's size, personally I do not think most people would call Antartica a country.

Anyways, have fun, you had asked for 'geographic' location, not continental, nor cultural, insult simply proves that you know your wrong. Please next time omit the word "important" cause clearly, It Isn't!

Last edited:
O..M..G..!

Talk about abusing details.. in Dutch we've got a word for people like that: mierenneukers, haha! I hope nobody will be able to translate that since it won't look pretty in English, lol.

Please Mr. Parsons, the country sizes were a point of discussion since you seemed to imply that Canada is much larger than Europe. It turned out both Europe, US and Canada are about the same size with roughly 10.000.000 sq km. That was the only point.

I really am starting to understand you less and less. You said:
" That that means nothing to you, well good for you, as for insulting(?) me in another language, good for your too, you reveal yourself for what you truly are."
Uhm, Robin? Why are you so bitter? I haven't said a single bad thing about you. Except that little expression above, which is just a little humor boiling to the surface.

Anyways, have fun, you had asked for 'geographic' location, not continetal, nor cultural, insult simply proves that you know your wrong. Please next time omit the word "important" cause clearly, It Isn't!
Well, obviously you thought it was important? And again, which insult?

And you have still not explained to me why you hate so much to have Canada grouped with the United States. Please explain to me which cutural boundary lies between those two countries. And also explain to me why such cultural boundaries don't exist between China and Japan or Eastern and Western Europe or Old Europe and Scandinavia.

If you can answer that question you've won the discussion.

WOW are you ever good at reading into others statement, Oooops no your not, you just do it as a tactic of your offensiveness.

From your CIA site this about the US

Originally from Moniques "www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html#Geo"[/URL] site[/b]
about half the size of Russia; about three-tenths the size of Africa; about half the size of South America (or slightly larger than Brazil); slightly larger than China; [color=red][b]about two and a half times the size of Western Europe [/color][/b][/quote]

Guessing that you can actaully read "two and a half times the SIZE.."

Keep going your getting amusing to me now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Uhm, Robin? Why are you so bitter? I haven't said a single bad thing about you. Except that little expression above, which is just a little humor boiling to the surface.
And look here, admitted to (but none the less couched) duplicity! with that added in bonus of you having decided that I am somehow Bitter but nothing to back that up, and nothing to it, so you must really be looking in somekind of mirror perhaps, seeing yourself, oh yes you do it again here...

And you have still not explained to me why you hate so much to have Canada grouped with the United States.
Where does that word Hate arrive from, I simply see a difference in the cultures, you, obliviously, don't!
I Suppose you would need do the same thing, I would need to, to know Europe better, go there. I have traveled in both the US and Canada, and I await the travel to Europe...ever been to either Canada or the US??

Just to set things straight, since you seemed to take it personally:

Zantra, goededag! Good that you see the humor in it. Pelastration, wat een moeilijke naam, maar leuk dat jij er ook bij bent!
It says: "Zantra, goodday! Good that you see the humor in it. Pelastration (the member from Belgium who just replied to the thread and speaks this language), what a difficult name, but nice that you are also here!"

So all I said were two very friendly greetings. I am sorry you take this so seriously, the point of this thread was to get all the members to participate and eventually compile the information into a map. As I said, I bases the catagories in the poll on social classifications of countries, based on cultural boundaries from an atlas. This divides the world in 10 areas, if I had known you would have been so upset, I would have put Canada seperately, but then I'd have to subdivide Europe too. That is why I asked to post a reply with the country, so that that data could be put into a map and the poll itself would give a mind's eye image. I doubt that people from Azia think Canada and US are all that different. It is all about perspective. You probably think China and Japan aren't that different..

*sigh*
quote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally from Moniques CIA site
about half the size of Russia; about three-tenths the size of Africa; about half the size of South America (or slightly larger than Brazil); slightly larger than China; about two and a half times the size of Western Europe
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Guessing that you can actaully read "two and a half times the SIZE.."
Robin, it says Western Europe, Western, Western Europe doesn't mean it is a Western civilization, it means West, in North, East, South, West. A large part of Europe is thus missing.

I have traveled in both the US and Canada, and I await the travel to Europe...ever been to either Canada or the US??
Funny you should say that.. amusing actually. I might be much younger than you (I think) but I certainly seen many different cultures. For your information: I have lived in the United States for three years (I went there just after my 20th birthday), in Detroit. So I have seen plenty of the Canadians and I've visited quite many places in Ontario. Besides that I have traveled the US, mainly big cities such as NY, LA, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland.

With my stay in the United States I have met first generation immigrants or aliens from the following countries:
Bulgaria
Croatia
Canadian
Zimbabwe
South-Africa
Finland
Japan
China
S Korea
India
Roemenia
Australia
Taiwan
Germany
Bangladesh
Brazil
Russia
Armenia
Iran

These were all my friends, I had close contacts with them.
The following people (not including the countries already mentioned above) are the ones I've met on a week long conference (when I flew from Detroit, MI over to Sardinia, Italy and back) and I had many conversations with them:
France
Pakistan
Italy
Poland
Lithuania
Belgium
UK
Ireland
Spain

I feel very privilaged to have know these people and I have learned a lot about their cultures. That is why I was interested in starting this thread to get to know some PF statistics.

Btw, the countries I have visited in Europe are Belgium, France, Germany, UK, Italy (North and Sardinia), Austria.

You still haven't given me arguments about the social/cultural classifications.
And you have still not explained to me why you *edit: don't like* to have Canada grouped with the United States. Please explain to me which cutural boundary lies between those two countries. And also explain to me why such cultural boundaries don't exist between China and Japan or Eastern and Western Europe or Old Europe and Scandinavia.

Last edited:
c'mon people, make a truce or something... :smile:

Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood
c'mon people, make a truce or something... :smile:
I have changed the first post into something that is maybe more politically correct:

POLL - global localization of our members
This poll is to determine the global localization of all our members.

Physicsforums has a worldwide network of participant of all ages and cultures, it would be interesting to evaluate where they are from. I tried to come up with a fair map of the world, which I eventually based on social/cultural boundaries from a geography book.

Make a choice and mention in a post which country you are from exactly, and gender would be nice too :)

THANKS!

Originally posted by monique
Robin, it says Western Europe, Western, Western Europe doesn't mean it is a Western civilization, it means West, in North, East, South, West. A large part of Europe is thus missing.
No kidding, Western as in excluding the part of the former USSR that is counted twice, as Europe, and as Russia, according to you?

Humm, hadn;t missed that one but she apparenlty thinks I did, Humm, *wonders why* (note to self, hey look her emotive attack changed venues)

Funny you should say that.. amusing actually. I might be much younger than you (I think)
Yes, and over the course of my (Longer) life, I too have met people from just about all of the list you have made, and more.

then...
I doubt that people from Azia think Canada and US are all that different. It is all about perspective. You probably think China and Japan aren't that different
Again you attempt to put words into my mouth that haven't ever been there, shows you like to do other people's thinking for them, rather then respecting their Opinions. And BTW you have given me, right there, the reason why I would want the distinction, BECAUSE the people in "AZIA" (your sp) don't know there is a difference.

As for justifieing it for you, (the cultural) well, obviously you didn't figure it out last time round, might I respectfully suggest you try again, when you are older? maybe by then you will be able to figure it out better, Thanks!..

Last edited:
Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons Again you attempt to put words into my mouth that haven't ever been there, shows you like to do other people's thinking for them, rather then respecting their Opinions. And BTW you have given me, right there, the reason why I would want the distinction, BECAUSE the people in "AZIA" (your sp) don't know there is a difference.
Robin, Robin. Why is this all about me? You said: Canada and US should have been mentioned seperately. I asked: Why. You said: There are cultural differences. I asked: What cultural differences are there between Canada and the US that wouldn't also separate Europe, or individual countries like China and Japan. I am trying to understand you, not personally attack you. Since you cannot support your arguments, I assume your standpoint is weak.

About the AZIA thing, Asia is spelled as Azië in Dutch, typos happen.

As for justifieing it for you, (the cultural) well, obviously you didn't figure it out last time round, might I respectfully suggest you try again, when you are older? maybe by then you will be able to figure it out better, Thanks!..
When I am older.. what is wrong with learning now? Since you are my elder you should be teaching me. As I said, I can think of cultural differences between Canada and the United States. I can also think of cultural differences between the UK and Romenia. THAT is my point. If you cannot see that, I am really sorry.

What cultural differences are there between Canada and the US

Beer (much better and stronger) and Hockey:wink:

Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood

c'mon people, make a truce or something...

That would be nice or maybe another thread on the topic should be started. You both wrong and rigth at the same time.

Many of my friends and family and I could of start a debate because of that

But Canada still represents a SINGLE culture (maybe two if you are VERY picky about english/french speaking parts)

For info if you are really picky it can be up to 4 (English Canadian, Quebecois, Acadian and Native) :wink:

OK, 45% of the people living in Rotterdam aren't Dutch, the same goes for Amsterdam, where 60-65% of the children aren't of Dutch origin. Every country will have diverse cultural groups, I think the key of the catagories I gave is the underlying structure, like some of the following elements:

To illustrate: the US and Canada fall in the same catagories under the following: livingconditions and development/ economic strong and weak countries/ earnings and debts/ religion/ population growth/ child death/ political cooporation/ economical cooporation.

Where they differ: independance in 1937 (don't ask me why this is mentioned)/ developmental help to other nations (where Europe, Saoedi Arabia, and Canada have spent more money per citizian on this than the US, interesting).

This is the data which the social/cultural map is based on I guess. This information comes from an atlas.. it is not the most up-to-date one though.

Could you tell me a little more information about the English Canadian, Quebecois, Acadian and Natives? Since I am interested in knowing a little more about the population substructure of Canada.

Last edited:
Robin, Robin. Humm "infantisization" by repetitve naming hummmm Why is this all about me? It isn't about you per say, but the manner of your attempt to frame me emotionally, that's Wrong! You said: Canada and US should have been mentioned seperately. I asked: Why. You said: There are cultural differences. And I also mentioned that Canada is "like a minority in North America", hence a very LARGE cultural DIFFERENCE, one apparently you cannot seem to grasp I asked: What cultural differences are there between Canada and the US that wouldn't also separate Europe, Europe is separate states, it is the Name of a Continent, not of a country, and most educated people KNOW that Europe is made up of many diverse cultures/countries, they do not know that there are differences between Canada and the US...Not unlike you, but they are subtle, that I can assure you of... or individual countries like China and Japan. I am trying to understand you, not personally attack you. You can say that, but the "emotivations" are there, none the less Since you cannot support your arguments, I assume your standpoint is weak. Uhmm, usually the weaker one is indicated by their need to use "emotivations" to attack the other
As for the cultural differnces, this is NOT the thread to be going into that, now is it? so please, let's agree to drop it here, you can make a last statement, if you would like, but I will probably refrain from anything further on this "Off Topic" subject. Thanks

*sigh* I give up, you have emotionally drained me by picking on the way I construct sentences rather than looking at the data I am providing, or rather coming with some data of yourself.

*sigh* are you a politician or something?

BLAME CANADA!

Originally posted by Zantra
BLAME CANADA!

Not again

*haha* good sense of humor :)

Originally posted by iansmith
Beer (much better and stronger) and Hockey:wink:

That would be nice or maybe another thread on the topic should be started. You both wrong and rigth at the same time.

Many of my friends and family and I could of start a debate because of that

For info if you are really picky it can be up to 4 (English Canadian, Quebecois, Acadian and Native) :wink:

Ok fine then come to Los Angeles where you can hear virtually every language in existence today, if you walk around long enough. Cultural diversity isn't a Canadian trademark:wink:

Ok fine then come to Los Angeles where you can hear virtually every language in existence today, if you walk around long enough.

I have been to LA, all heared was spanish and english. I guess I'll have to walk longer next time :wink:

Cultural diversity isn't a Canadian trademark:wink:

I guess i'll go to do bed less stupid tonight

Originally posted by iansmith
I have been to LA, all heared was spanish and english. I guess I'll have to walk longer next time :wink:

I guess you missed korea town and china town then! hehehe

I guess i'll go to do bed less stupid tonight

Well, I'm glad I could make the world a better place! kumbaya:wink:

female, southern california

Ok fine then come to Los Angeles where you can hear virtually every language in existence today, if you walk around long enough. Cultural diversity isn't a Canadian trademark:wink:
Humm, Canada ~ 30 million people, California ~ 35 million people Hummmm

hi,

I'm one of those pompous, facist, overbearing, obnoxious americans I keep hearing about I reside in California, USA

A greeting to the world:

bonjour!
Saluti!
Guten tag!
hola!
Alla w'alla m'a sallekam!(sp?)
konnichi wa!
ni hao! (edited for content)
Jambo!
gegroet!
bunã!
god dag!
jó reggelt!
dag!
god morgen!
hallo!

And of course,

G'day mates!

Dude, I feel pretty left out here...you missed "buenos dias" or "hola", or something that represents the largest minority in the U.S. , which I happen to be a part of .

fourth on on the list dude- check again- I got you covered:wink:

y habla pocqito espanol tambien- vaya con dios!

North American male.

Naked under my clothes like the rest of you.

Get over it, eh, unless Ian had come up with
some genetic engineering to change that... like

"I grew my own plaid boxers in the womb."

india. om shanti, shanti om:wink:

Originally posted by sage
india. om shanti, shanti om:wink:

Hi Sage, buddy, how are you? long time no see.

Monique, we zijn landgenoten. Noteer voor mij (M) Zoetermeer.

Gedaan! Leuk om een nederlander te zien :P

Male in America

Just out of curiosity Monique, did you notice that when I had cited your CIA site in this post, (Last one on page five)

Originally from Moniques "www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html#Geo"[/URL] site[/b]
about half the size of Russia; about three-tenths the size of Africa; about half the size of South America (or slightly larger than Brazil); [color=red] slightly larger than China; [/color] [b]about two and a half times the size of Western Europe [/b][/quote]
I've moved the [color=red]red[/color] in the quote to point it out, did you realize that this is in reference to the United States of America? Slightly larger the China, after they tell that China is "Somewhat larger" then Canada" and that Canada is "somewhat larger" then the US, but on there own page they state thay are slightlylarger the China...wonder how long it's going to take them to change that one??

Just out of curiosity Monique, did you notice that when I had cited your CIA site in this post, (Last one on page five)

about half the size of Russia; about three-tenths the size of Africa; about half the size of South America (or slightly larger than Brazil); [color=red][b] slightly larger than China; [/b][/color] about two and a half times the size of Western Europe [/quote]
I've moved the [color=red]red[/color] in the quote to point it out, did you realize that this is in reference to the United States of America? [i][u]"Slightly larger then China"[/u][/i] after they tell that China is "Somewhat larger" then Canada and that Canada is "somewhat larger" then the US, but on [b]their own Countries page[/b] they state thay are [i]slightly larger the China[/i]...wonder how long it's going to take them to change that one??

P.S. Nice "Avatar" change, is that really you?

Yes, that's me, Greg started a member photo thread shortly after, it should be fun to get to know some people by face.

And yeah, I noticed they inconsistency a while ago. It is correct though, depending whether you talk about LAND mass or the actual geographic territory (incl lakes, seas etc).

Male, England!

Hey you did miss Preevyet or Strassvoitye from ur big greetings list