POLL - geographic location of our members

  • Thread starter Thread starter Monique
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Members Poll

Your Geographic Location

  • North America

    Votes: 203 60.4%
  • Latin America

    Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Europe

    Votes: 79 23.5%
  • Islamic world (ie N. Africa and Middle East)

    Votes: 10 3.0%
  • Africa (excl above)

    Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Former Soviet Union

    Votes: 1 0.3%
  • East Asia (eg China/ Japan)

    Votes: 3 0.9%
  • South Asia (eg India)

    Votes: 11 3.3%
  • South East Asia (eg Malesia/ Indonesia)

    Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Australia and Oceania

    Votes: 16 4.8%

  • Total voters
    336
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
283 replies · 41K views
Originally posted by Zantra
Ok fine then come to Los Angeles where you can hear virtually every language in existence today, if you walk around long enough.

I have been to LA, all heared was spanish and english. I guess I'll have to walk longer next time :wink:

Originally posted by Zantra
Cultural diversity isn't a Canadian trademark:wink:

I guess i'll go to do bed less stupid tonight
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by iansmith
I have been to LA, all heared was spanish and english. I guess I'll have to walk longer next time :wink:

I guess you missed korea town and china town then! hehehe

I guess i'll go to do bed less stupid tonight

Well, I'm glad I could make the world a better place! kumbaya:wink:
 
Originally posted by Zantra
Ok fine then come to Los Angeles where you can hear virtually every language in existence today, if you walk around long enough. Cultural diversity isn't a C[/color]anadian trademark:wink:
Humm, Canada ~ 30 million people, California ~ 35 million people Hummmm
 
Originally posted by Zantra
hi,

I'm one of those pompous, facist, overbearing, obnoxious americans I keep hearing about I reside in California, USA

A greeting to the world:

bonjour!
Saluti!
Guten tag!
hola!
Alla w'alla m'a sallekam!(sp?)
konnichi wa!
ni hao! (edited for content)
Jambo!
gegroet!
bunã!
god dag!
jó reggelt!
dag!
god morgen!
hallo!

And of course,

G'day mates!

Dude, I feel pretty left out here...you missed "buenos dias" or "hola", or something that represents the largest minority in the U.S. , which I happen to be a part of .
 
fourth on on the list dude- check again- I got you covered:wink:

y habla pocqito espanol tambien- vaya con dios!
 
North American male.

Naked under my clothes like the rest of you.

Get over it, eh, unless Ian had come up with
some genetic engineering to change that... like

"I grew my own plaid boxers in the womb."
 
Originally posted by sage
india. om shanti, shanti om:wink:

Hi Sage, buddy, how are you? long time no see.

Monique, we zijn landgenoten. Noteer voor mij (M) Zoetermeer.
 
Just out of curiosity Monique, did you notice that when I had cited your CIA site in this post, (Last one on page five)

Originally from Moniques "www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html#Geo"[/URL] site[/b]
about half the size of Russia; about three-tenths the size of Africa; about half the size of South America (or slightly larger than Brazil); slightly larger than China; [/color] [b]about two and a half times the size of Western Europe [/b][/quote]
I've moved the red[/color] in the quote to point it out, did you realize that this is in reference to the United States of America? Slightly larger the China, after they tell that China is "Somewhat larger" then Canada" and that Canada is "somewhat larger" then the US, but on there own page they state thay are slightlylarger the China...wonder how long it's going to take them to change that one??
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just out of curiosity Monique, did you notice that when I had cited your CIA site in this post, (Last one on page five)

Originally from Moniques "www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html#Geo"[/URL] site[/b]
about half the size of Russia; about three-tenths the size of Africa; about half the size of South America (or slightly larger than Brazil); [b] slightly larger than China; [/b][/color] about two and a half times the size of Western Europe [/quote]
I've moved the red[/color] in the quote to point it out, did you realize that this is in reference to the United States of America? [i][u]"Slightly larger then China"[/u][/i] after they tell that China is "Somewhat larger" then Canada and that Canada is "somewhat larger" then the US, but on [b]their own Countries page[/b] they state thay are [i]slightly larger the China[/i]...wonder how long it's going to take them to change that one??

P.S. Nice "Avatar" change, is that really you?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that's me, Greg started a member photo thread shortly after, it should be fun to get to know some people by face.

And yeah, I noticed they inconsistency a while ago. It is correct though, depending whether you talk about LAND mass or the actual geographic territory (incl lakes, seas etc).
 
Male, England!

Hey you did miss Preevyet or Strassvoitye from ur big greetings list
 
namaste monique.
yes andre, it's been a long time. exams take their toll on connectivity:wink: .
 
Okay... Tiny town (called Bogense) in Denmark

I'm btw male (or so I claim)
 
Last edited:
New Zealand, male. But I was born in India, lived there until some 4 years ago.

Btw, it's almost as "insulting" for a NZer being lumped together with Australia... (But let's not start with that again .)

Kia ora is the Maori way of greeting.
 
I'm from Mauritania(not Mauritius)a country in North West Africa, that people seem to think doesn't exist. But if you look at the map of Africa it is one of the most prominent countries there. By the way most Mauritanian's don't live as nomads (a common stereotype). Well if you have further questions on Mauritania I'll be glad to respond.
 
Hey Cool, yes, I actually knew of Mauritania and its location, what is its population size? Landscape?
 
Greetings-

I'm female and currently reside in
San Francisco, CA, US.
 
Male, California

Currently I live in SoCal (Irvine), but I still associate myself with NorCal (Sacramento, my home). And yes, there is a difference.
 
banc_darguin01.jpg


Here is a picture of one of my favorite sites in Mauritania. It is called The National Park of Band'arguin and it is a reservation park by the sea for migratory birds. It maintains about 280 species of birds, and all together more than 2,5 million individuals.


There are only two million people in Mauritania. So you can imagine how densely populated we are.

chinguetti01.jpg


Here is another picture of the mosque of Chinguetti, which used to be the capital of Mauritania. This old city dates back seven hundred years. It is ranked as the seventh holiest city in the Islamic world. pretty interesting.huh!

If you want more detailed info on other cities in Mauritania visit the following site:

http://i-cias.com/mauritania/index.htm

"That fondness for science, ... that affability and condescension which God shows to the learned, that promptitude with which he protects and supports them in the elucidation of obscurities and in the removal of difficulties, has encouraged me to compose a short work on calculating by al-jabr and al-muqabala , confining it to what is easiest and most useful in arithmetic." Abu Abd-Allah ibn Musa al'Khwarizmi
 
update

It seems I missed a few, so here's the updated list. If I missed your language, let me know what it is so I can add it. Keep in mind, I can't do cyrillic characters or eastern pictographs(ie: kanji), so let's stick to english phonetical. K thx!

A greeting to the world:

bonjour!
Saluti!
Guten tag!
hola!
Alla m'aallah sallekam!(sp?)
konnichi wa!
ni hao! (edited for content)
Jambo!
gegroet!
bunã!
god dag!
jó reggelt!
Hoi!
god morgen!
hallo!
Preevyet!
Strassvoitye!
Namaste!

And of course,

G'day mates!
 
Last edited:
Originally posted by Monique
or Namaste

Maybe I got it wrong, but I thought DAG was dutch for hello. Or are we talking finnish or norwegian?
 
There was an Indian person who said something like: live in peace (om shanti, shanti om), I replied with a Hindu greeting :)

DAG, hmm, that is actually a goodbye greeting :)
HALLO would be the formal greeting, HOI the informal one.